4 New Year’s Resolutions For A Commitment-Phobe

Everything casual, nothing more.

263
123rf

If you’re like me and have a huge fear of relationships and commitment then congratulations you have commitment-phobia. If there is one thing in this world I am terrible at it’s dating and relationships. I like the chase and then I get bored or freaked out and run for the hills. Yes, I know it’s bad but I can’t help it, I truly just don’t like being in anything serious. Looking back, I think the longest relationship I have ever been in lasted two weeks. Now that 2017 is over and a new year is upon us, I have a few resolutions as someone with a fear of second dates. However, like many resolutions, we’ll see how long they hold up…

1. Queen ghost

Unfortunately, I am a first-class ghost. I know, it’s so immature and so bad but it’s how I used to handle guys I wasn’t really interested in anymore. Turning someone down or ending things seemed a lot more painful than just disappearing. However, I know that just vanishing into thin air is a lot worse than just growing a pair and ending things like an adult.

2. Terrible texting

As you might have guessed my communication skills with a guy I don’t like are not that great. However, they aren’t much better with someone I do like either. Texting me is like texting your technologically challenged aunt. I would rather just call someone, but since we live in 2018 and not the 90s I have to ditch the voice to voice communication and flirt through a screen like the rest of the world.

3. Casual casualties

Everything casual, nothing more. My worst habit is my classic line, “I’m just having fun, I’m not looking for anything serious.” And, well, it’s true! I’m just a freshmen in college and I really don’t want anything serious. At the first sign of things moving forward I usually put the whole thing to a halt. I’d like to say I am 100% against being in a relationship but I guess I’ll never know if I never try.

4. Fizzled out

I don’t know if I have a dating disability or if all guys end up just average on my spectrum, but if you are a commitment-phobe like me then you know the cycle all too well. First you like a guy, you play the games and the chase and it’s a challenge, then once the guy returns the feelings you either get completely bored or totally weirded out and peace the f*ck out. Maybe I’m not giving enough time or effort? I never really believed in love at first sight either, but if it’s real then I must be blind.

Okay, so maybe I’m not giving myself enough credit. I try and I really make sure I’m aware of my ways but I’d rather spend the best years of my life having the time of my life. So, if Prince Charming is out there let him know, “I’m just having fun, I’m not looking for anything serious.”