Your Only New Year's Resolution Should Be To Do What Makes YOU Happy

We always here it, but what does it mean?

We always see quotes that say, "Do more of what makes you happy." Yet, how many times do we just get stuck into doing things we don't want to? I don't mean things like going to work or typing that 5-page essay. Here, I'm talking about being friends with people who are of no benefit to you, focusing too much on the opinions of others, and being less focused on what you actually want to do.

This New Years, start doing what makes you happy. Start saying no when you want to say no. Start saying yes when you want to say yes. Start doing what you truly want to do, start doing what makes YOU happy.

Too often, we don't actually do what we want to do. We say yes to something we don't want to do, we hang out with people we don't want to hang out with, and we do things that are of no benefit to us. Too often, I think it's because we are worried about upsetting others and making others unhappy. It's hard because we want to make others happy; we want to be there for other people and help other people; however, it's very easy to sink into a process of neglecting yourself and focusing too much on other people. This New Years, focus on yourself and do what makes you happy. Stop allowing negative people steal your energy, and stop allowing other people to change your mood and happiness.

I know I'm not the only one who struggles with this, and I'll be the first to say it is very difficult for me to focus on myself sometimes because I truly care so much about other people. I always want to help people, even if it makes me lose sleep or takes up too much time. Even though there is nothing wrong with helping others, sometimes I let myself be too focused on others and their happiness instead of my own.

This year I have decided that I really want to do more of what makes me happy. I want to say no to going to that late night movie if I'm tired. I'm going to say no to hanging out with someone who is of no benefit to me. I'm going to stop being friends with people that aren't worth my time or energy, and I'm going to let go of the people who have let go of me. I'm going to focus on me. I'm going to focus on school, my career, my friends that are worth my time, and the hobbies I enjoy doing.

This year, make 2018 the year you want. Do what makes you happy. Spend alone time when you need it, and spend time with friends when you need it. Let go of the people who have hurt you, and let them be who they want to be. Go out when you want to go out, and stay in when you want to stay in. Do what makes you happy, even if that means letting people go, and making others unhappy. In the end, your happiness is what matters.

Do what makes you happy. Regardless of the opinions and judgments of others, do what makes you happy and live your life the way you want to. You have one life to live, make it count. Make yourself happy.