Always The Bridesmaid Never The Bride
Dating

Yes, I'm That Girl Who Is 'Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride'— And I Embrace It

Or in my case... always the bridesmaid or always the photographer.

555
Harlee Lynn Photo

Side bar: I am in no way, shape, or form dissing my boyfriend. We have had plenty of long talks about where our relationship with marriage stands.

To the girl who feels like she's the lead actress in "27 Dresses.."

The constant Facebook relationship changes, the texts with ring pictures, the save the dates and wedding invitations, bridal showers and bachelorette events; these all serve as constant reminders to me of the one thing in life that at the moment I don't have.

Don't get me wrong though, when my friends are getting married, I am incredibly happy for them. I know that they too have longed for this day in their lives to come and are overwhelmed with thankfulness and gratitude for what the Lord has given them. I am honored that they have chosen me to be a part of their special day in whatever capacity I am serving in, but there's always a little part of me that says, "Lord, when will I be next?"

It always amazes me how I can be so happy for my friends but sad for myself at the same time.

I continue to go back and forth with myself on the matter of marriage. You know "Ring before Spring" kind of thing? One day I can be totally bummed that an engagement hasn't fit into my story yet; when the next day I'm happy I don't have to deal with the pressure of planning a wedding.

As a 22-year old girl who graduates college in less than 6 months with a long-term boyfriend… it's there. The pressures of deciding to get married or not, but sometimes it's just not the right time.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you hope and a future."

But this isn't about taking turns. Life and relationships aren't a game and God isn't skipping our turn when we feel like he is. It's easy to get caught up in emotions as you step into yet another bridesmaid dress or fake a smile for another one of your friends in love that you're really trying to be happy for.

I'd rather say, embrace the season you're in. I'd rather remind you that there's a reason God has you right where you are, that you're appreciated, and your current role is needed in big and mighty ways. I know it's tempting and normal to step into a lonely pity party but I dare you to own your loneliness instead of letting it own you. Don't throw your heart walls up in protection or your hands up in surrender. Both are isolating and discouraging places and you're better than that.

Your character, your strengths, your sparkle, wit and beauty is needed for something a lot bigger than Pinterest boards and wedding bells.

Whether you're in a serious relationship or not, it's important to maintain a healthy, happy outlook on your life. If one day becoming the bride is something that's important to you, be hopeful that it will happen. And when it does, all of those friends who were fortunate enough to count you as their bridesmaid will gladly return the favor. For now, invest in the other aspects of your life that you are happy with. Travel, read, cook, pick up and move across the country—you really can do anything you want.