10 Things I Will Always Miss About High School

High School truly is the glory days.

3974

It's been 5 years now since I graduated from Beauregard High School. That's crazy to me! I wish all the time I could go back. There are plenty of great memories I have. As for you kids still in high school, your gonna wish you could go back no matter how much you want out of that hell hole.

Trust me, my high school was a hellhole but the greatest place at the same time.

1. Life was simple

All you had to do was show up, hang out, and do some class work and boom you're done. No dealing with bills, no paying for an apartment or house, no having to get a full-time job or having to do crazy college assignments or clinical.

2. You got to see friends everyday

I was told by one of my best friends that graduated two years before I did that once me and a couple other guys graduate, it's all gonna change. It definitely did. You don't see your school friends every day and you don't see your best friends as often. I moved away for college and another one of our best friends moved away for work. We see each other and have great times still. Then I see high school buddies whenever I'm around town and catch up some but it's just not the same.

3. The teachers

Yes, I said it. You will miss the teachers. You'll miss the fun teachers and the hard teachers. I had teachers who had daughters in the class under me and they were some of my best teachers along with my coaches. One teacher I remember everyone hated but I loved him, even though he was a hard history teacher. He was just challenging us to do a better job and I thank him still for that.

4. Shop

This won't hit the girls as much as the guys but the shop was where it was at. Crazy ass things happened in there from rebuilding an engine, catching on fire welding, or frying some chicken/grilling steak in the middle of the shop. I believe every guy should take shop and enjoy it and I bet you'll miss it. I saw a buddy I had shop classes off and on with all four years the other day and had a great time catching up talking about the fun times.

5. Sports

Whether you played sports or watched the games you'll miss it. Being under the lights on Friday night or being on the diamond is a great feeling until the day you end up on the sideline or the dugout coaching. For others, it's cheering on your friends and classmates. It just feels different when you see these people in class or the hallway every day and then see them play a big game.

6. Pep Rally’s 

I know some people hated pep rally's and wouldn't show but for others, it was a great time to go bat shit crazy at school. I loved pep rally's and even won most school spirit senior year by wearing some crazy outfits and painting myself crazy colors.

7. Homecoming week

For my school, homecoming week gave us a week to dress up as crazy as possible. I won one day every year. The unfortunate part is I could've won more but the most we could win was one day a week. Then there were the homecoming pep rally games. I'm a big guy — 6'6", 280 lbs — so I was always put in the tug of war and typically held my own.

8. The lunches

Yes, everyone's favorite period. The tables where the real shit happens. The food wasn't all that great except pizza day. But getting to eat lunch with friends every day was great. Then there was the sneaking to the gas station right down the street and hoping you don't get caught.

9. The principal 

At my school, we have a principal who's been there longer than the high school itself. Ole Dickie Brown has either coached or been principal of everyone's parents at the school. Then he loves the pep rally's more than the students and doing two bits.

10. The bus rides

For those that rode the bus once you get to high school, you're the high class back of the bus students that everyone looks up to. It's also the wildest spot on the bus.

There are many other reasons and more in-depth details on why you will miss high school but these are my top 10. My best advice is to enjoy your time in school and when you're young because it goes by quick and then life happens.