Netflix's ‘Love Is Blind’ Paints An Unrealistic Picture Of Love

Netflix's ‘Love Is Blind’ Paints An Unrealistic Picture Of Love, But I Couldn't Stop Watching

Can you actually fall in love with someone you've never seen? Netflix tries to find out.

174

A cross between "90 Day Fiance" and "The Bachelor," Netflix recently released its newest original show "Love Is Blind."

The premise of the show is to answer the overarching question: is love truly blind? To do this, the show recruits 30 singles from Atlanta to begin dating from the comfort of their individual "pods." They get to know one another based on personality rather than looks.

The goal? To fall in love sight unseen.

I love the concept of this show in general, however, its execution is completely flawed and only warps the concept of love rather than validate it. As a society, we value looks more than we care to admit. Physical attraction is a significant element in having an intimate relationship. This does not make you superficial — it just makes you human.

I really do love the idea of getting to know someone first before seeing what they look like. It allows you to meet someone you may not have otherwise given a chance. But the show values entertainment and binge-worthy content rather than actually finding an answer to whether or not love is blind.

They advertise the show as an experiment, but it's really just for profit.

As they go on dates and find out which people they want to continue talking to they are faced with a drastic decision. After only a few days of knowing the person (still without seeing them) contestants must decide if they want to get engaged or leave the show.

Yes, this makes the show incredibly entertaining, but it is extremely rare for a couple that has known each other for less than a week to have a successful marriage. If the relationship fails (which wouldn't be surprising), the show claims they are proving that love is not blind. But this is not an accurate assessment.

After watching, I actually do believe many of these couples could have successful relationships. However, the pressure of marriage in only 4 short weeks of dating is bound to interfere with most relationships.

I also believe many of the individuals on the show get engaged because they know that is their only chance of being with someone on the show.

One of the participants, Jessica, was ready to say yes to Barnett's proposal until he suddenly changed his mind. Reluctant to walk away from the show, she settled for her second choice, Mark. I may only be 18, but I'm pretty sure that's not how actual love and marriage works…

The worst part by far though is the episode with the surviving couples' weddings. The show doesn't allow them to break up before the wedding if they're having hesitations. They literally have to wait until they are up at the altar, in their dresses and suits, and in front of their families, to say “I do" or “I don't."

That's a new level of fucked up in my opinion.

With all of this criticism, I will admit I will continue to watch the show. Despite its flaws, anyone who watches it will admit, it's very easy to get hooked...

Follow Swoon on Instagram.