Why You Need To Watch The New Movie, 'To The Bone'

Breaking social norms, and bringing light to a very important, yet hardly talked about issue in society. Great acting, with a great plotline, "To the Bone", shows the true reality of recovery from an eating disorder.

62
SheKnows

Writer's Note: I strongly encourage you to watch the Netflix Original movie, “To the Bone,” before reading this article. Not only is it a great movie that I hope everyone can take the time to watch, but it will also help you follow along with what I’m referencing throughout this article. Although I don’t give any real spoilers away, the points I bring up in this article may give away clues as to what happens.

In July, Netflix put out a Netflix Original movie called, “To the Bone.” As a 19 year old who has suffered from an eating disorder since she was nearly 13, this is a movie that I have been waiting for. This is a movie that needs to be seen; it’s a movie that I wish I could have seen when I was 13.

When I first mentioned the title of the movie to one of my friends, her response was, “well, that seems graphic!” And in a way, it is; but, to really cover a topic like this, it needs to be. The images aren’t graphic, as many might worry about; however, the thoughts and the content discussed really have no filter; they don’t beat around the bush, and they are deep. With a movie that has a topic like this, if it really wants to make a change, it can’t beat around the bush or sugar coat so those who don’t suffer from an eating disorder think what these girls and boys are going through is all okay and not that severe; in order to make a change, it needs to be brutally honest in the reality of this horror, yet make it subtle enough that it portrays it in a real life sense. Because in all honesty, someone with an eating disorder, their life doesn’t look like a documentary; it looks like this movie shows: secretive, and subtle.

This movie did many things right while discussing this topic, and it really needs to be recognized. Here are a few of the things that I feel really stood out.

This movie is about a girl who suffers from an eating disorder. She lives a regular life, but has a secret burden. When she heads to the doctor, she pretends like she wants to change; however, she doesn’t want to follow through with all of the recommended steps that the doctor recommends for treatment. Why is this important? Because in real life, many who suffer from any disorder say they want the help, but actually don’t want it. They are willing to do treatment, but only the treatment that they feel they can sneak around to still be able to fulfill their habits; this way it looks like their trying to get help, and are able to get people to stop hounding them for it. In reality, one who suffers, isn’t quick to accept help; it takes a lot of thought, time, and convincing. This is shown, and she eventually accepts. How else would the movie go on?

The next part of the movie that I thought was crucial was the fact that the doctor in the group home didn’t force them to follow strict rules. He was known for his “unusual practices”, but for those who really do suffer from an eating disorder know that his ways are practical. You can’t force someone to change their ways; when one’s being forced to quickly change a habit that they’ve known for so long, they’ll just fake it so they can pass the program, and go back to their old ways as soon as possible; they’re not actually changing. By forcing someone to change their ways, with anything in life, will only cause them to retreat or want to back out; you can, however, encourage them, and fix the underlying issues that make them want to behave in such a way. Believe it or not, eating disorders, along with most behaviors, have an underlying cause and reason; this “cover up” behavior can’t be fixed without fixing the real problem. I think that’s exactly what the doctor is trying to do, just most other people are in denial of the real issue. One way the doctor does this is by having family therapy. This is a good example of what I’m trying to say, because you can tell that the family is contributing to the problem; however, they are in denial of their behavior, and the effects that it has on this young woman’s behavior. They don’t understand cause and effect, and believe the only issue is her eating disorder. So, although the doctor is known for his “unusual practices”, it’s just because those who don’t suffer, don’t understand all that it entails.

Another thing that I feel the movie did so right was it proved that eating disorders weren’t inclusive. This is so, so important in breaking social norms. The idea that only girls suffer from eating disorders is way off, and can be disheartening to the men who also suffer. The idea that starving, purging, or even losing weight is the only form of eating disorders, is also totally wrong. Eating disorders are different for everyone. Some exercise too much, some don’t eat. Some just purge, and gain a whole bunch of weight. Some use several different methods. Eating disorders are not inclusive. The one thing I loved about all of this was that they didn’t make it so obvious; in the movie, they didn’t shine a bright light, as if, “Look! There’s a male with an eating disorder!!” The movie showed that they were just normal people, like the rest of them, with real problems, struggling through real recovery. This movie showed the truth.

Next, I want to highlight the fact that they were honest about treatment. Treatment is not one shoe fits all. Treatment is not an “in-and-out and I’m cured” type of thing. Treatment is hard. It includes doubts; it includes failures, and it often includes giving up once or twice before finally finding the way. Without spoiling it for those who haven’t seen the movie, this movie did an awesome job at showing the truth behind that; it’s not a one and done deal. It’s not just about getting back to a good weight, and ending treatment; it’s delving deeper, solving the real problem, and then continuing the treatment long after a person is a healthy weight again.

Lastly, this movie shows that recovery is possible. Recovery is possible even if you don’t think so, even if you feel like theirs no way out. It’s hard; it takes time; and, it’s not always fun; but, it is possible.

If you or someone you know if suffering from an eating disorder, feel free to call this helpline: 1-800-931-2237