Why You Need To Stop Complaining This Year

When we complain, we become the victim.

92
Pexels.com

We all know that one person that complains about everything. Whether it's your parents, co-worker, or even friends, there is one somewhere. Sometimes even we as individuals catch ourselves grumbling at something in our lives. While venting and expressing yourself is completely normal, what isn't is when it is done in excessive amounts.

One of my favorite quotes is by, Daniel Chidiac, author of the best selling self-help book Who Says You Can't You Do. It reads, "When we complain, we become the victim. When we are the victim, we don't get what we want in life, we get more of what we don't want." I liked this quote so much that I even wrote it out and hung it on my refrigerator. I did this to provide a daily reminder to not only myself, but to everyone in my house that complaining essentially does nothing except drain you and the people around you. If something is bothering you, change it and what you can't change let it go. Allowing yourself to be consumed by the "crap" or hardships that are bothering you, are only going to make you powerless.

That's right powerless. When we allow an event or circumstance to rule our thoughts, we give it the power. Feeling powerless or not in control causes us to be filled with fear. As you can see, as soon as the words of a complaint slips from our lips we're starting a chain for a terrible mindset. Complaining is packed with negative energy that flows into our being and those around us. Instead of reveling in the unfortunate event and saying "why do bad things happen to me." Ask yourself, am I the cause of this situation? When we continue to blame others for our misfortunes we take away the ability to ever experience the change or growth that we truly desire. Being able to recognize when we are complaining and shifting that thought into a solution to fix it, is the first step in becoming a better you.

No one wants to be around someone who finds something to whine about when we're all just trying to live our best life. I understand that people genuinely don't realize it sometimes and it's just like breathing for them, to complain. This is where you as a person or friend can help them. Express how much you want them to be happy and find the joy in things instead of the bad. The positive instead of the negative. We can change our mindset, once we are willing to see where we are wrong.

"If you're going through a tough time, always remember these two things: When there is struggle in your life, that is the universe telling you there is something that you need to let go of. And second, you have to be willing to take action to change your situation. Getting through adversity is only about your perspective and your action." - Sylvester McNutt III, Lust For Life