NBA Season Q and A Part 1

NBA Season Q and A Part 1

Answering questions given to me via Facebook, Text, Snapchat, and Instagram

15
NBA Season Q and A Part 1
Spokesman

With the NBA season coming up, I have decided to do another Q and A article since the off-season one was so popular. Just like the last Q and A article, I was given questions from friends via Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, text, and Instagram. I was supposed to do one Q and A article with 10 questions but I ended up getting 20questions. So I will answer 10 questions this week and the other 10 next week. Let's start the first 10 questions!

The first question is from one of the people who graduated from Cazenovia College last year and one of the captains from last years volleyball club, my friend Alec Felitte. His question is about the former BYU star and three point marksman, Jimmer Fredette.

Will Jimmer Fredette play in the NBA again?

As of right now, Jimmer Fredette is going to play for the Shanghai Sharks in China. He signed a one year contract to play overseas. After the season is up, Jimmer Fredette is free to sign with any NBA team. Currently, there are rumors of the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Utah Jazz freeing up a roster space for Jimmer when he is done with China. Basically, Jimmer is playing in China to build his reputation up. There are a lot of teams that can use Jimmer's shooting ability and hopefully he finds a team when the China season is done. I predict that Jimmer Fredette will sign with a NBA team when he is done playing with China.

The next question is from a senior that goes to Cazenovia College and that went to my rival high school, Rome Free Academy. This question is from Chris Ciulla, who also was in the volleyball club last year. His question is about the Miami Heat and the loss of Chris Bosh. Chris Bosh failed a physical and is not passed to play because of blood clots.

Will the Miami Heat make the Playoffs without Chris Bosh?

The Miami Heat had a very troublesome off-season as they saw Joe Johnson leave for the Utah Jazz and Luol Deng leave for the Los Angeles Lakers. Also, Miami's star player since 2003, Dwayne Wade, surprisingly left the Heat to join his hometown Chicago Bulls. Then they find out that Chris Bosh can't play due to his blood clots. The team's best player, as of right now, is newly re-signed center, Hassan Whiteside. The Heat's current roster is basically Hassan Whiteside and a bunch of role players. I don't see this team having a good season this year. They lost their scorers so the team will have to adjust around Hassan Whiteside as they look to him as the Heat's new leader. Sadly, I don't see this team making the playoffs, but they might end up with a nice lottery pick for next year's draft.

Question number three is from a guy who has been a family friend for a long team. I also went to high school with him. The question I got from Snapchat is from Nigel Dunkley. He is a Los Angeles Lakers fan so that question is obviously about the Lakers.

Will the Lakers be able to sneak into the playoffs as the 8th seed?

This season will be the first season without one of the greatest Lakers players of all time, Kobe Bryant, playing for them. Last season on the last game, he scored 60 points as he led the Lakers to one final win against the Utah Jazz. After that, he said Mamba Out and rode off into the sunset. After that, the Lakers drafted Duke star, Brandon Ingram, with the second pick in last year's draft. They are building a young core of D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and Brandon Ingram trying to get ready for the future. They also added Luol Deng and Timofey Mozgov in the off-season. The West is always a tough conference to play in and that does not help the Lakers. I don't see them making the playoffs this year but the future for the Lakers young core is really bright.

Question number four is from another Cazenovia College graduate and another captain of the volleyball club, Marcos Delgado; he's a guy I consider a brother and I appreciate everything he did for me and taught me. His question is about the new villain in the NBA, Kevin Durant and the Golden State Warriors.

Why did Kevin Durant go to the Warriors?

Last year in the NBA Western Conference finals, the Oklahoma City Thunder led by Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant was up three games to one against the defending champions, the Golden State Warriors. They lost that series as the Warriors went on to face the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals. During the NBA off-season, Kevin Durant shocked the NBA by signing with the team that beat him in the playoffs. Kevin Durant signed with the Warriors because this was the team that gave him the best chance to finally win a title. Kevin Durant is joining a team that went 73-9 last year, breaking the 95-96 Bulls regular season record. He wants to win a title badly, no matter what he has to do. This is a perfect example of the phrase "if you can't beat them join them."

My good friend, Zach Ellis, who I also went to high school with, has the next question which is also about the Golden State Warriors. It is mainly about with all the moves the Golden State Warriors made this season and if teams can contend with them?

Can anyone contend with the Golden State Warriors?

The Golden State Warriors went 73-9 in the regular season last year but fell short in the playoffs as they lost in game seven in the NBA Finals to the Cleveland Cavaliers. In the off-season, they signed Javale McGee and David West. They also traded away Andrew Bogut to the Mavericks for ZaZa Pachulia and let Harrison Barnes sign with the Mavericks to make room to sign prized free agent, Kevin Durant. With the Warriors being the powerhouse that everyone hates, there is one team in the NBA that can stop them. The only team that can compete with the Warriors is the team that beat them in the NBA Finals, the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavaliers already have their team chemistry set, which the Warriors don't. They also have a mental advantage over the Warriors knowing that the Warriors gave up a 3-1 series lead to the Cavaliers. Also having the best player in the NBA in LeBron James doesn't hurt either.

The next question is from Mark Barnes, a cool guy, but he is an Eagles fan. His question is about the next breakout star in the NBA.

Who will be this year's breakout star?

I believe that this year's breakout star will be the Greek Freak, Giannis Antetokounmpo. The man is 6'11" and can play any position on the floor. He is originally a small forward but Milwaukee Bucks head coach, Jason Kidd will put Giannis at point guard this season. Giannis is the few type of players that can produce a triple double at any moment. He can also fill the stat sheet any game. The only thing Giannis needs to work on is his jump shot. I have Giannis being an all-star this year, but when that jump shot shows up, the rest of the league should be worried.

My good friend CJ has the next question and it has to do with the Bulls and their newly acquired player, Dwayne Wade. The Bulls went through a lot this off-season as they traded Derrick Rose and lost Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah in free agency. They gained Rajon Rondo and Dwayne Wade though. CJ's question is about Dwayne Wade's impact on the Bulls.

Can Dwayne Wade make an impact on the Bulls like Derrick Rose did?

I believe that Dwayne Wade will make a better impact to the Bulls than Derrick Rose did. The Bulls signed a veteran in the NBA, who is a great leader. Jimmy Butler is leading the team but Dwayne Wade can serve as a mentor to the team and Butler. He also has championship experience, along with Rajon Rondo. He knows what it takes to win a NBA championship and he is willing to share that with the Bulls.

The next question is from a good friend of mine who is a great athlete, Taylor Miccio. His question involves what team I believe is a surprise team in the NBA.

Who is the most surprising team in the NBA?

I have been saying this in past basketball articles and I believe that the Minnesota Timberwolves will surprise a lot of people this season and make the playoffs. They have two players that have won rookie of the year the last two years, in Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony Towns. Add in Zach Lavine and newly drafted point guard, Kris Dunn from Providence and you have a upcoming young team in the NBA. The Minnesota Timberwolves have a great young core that could run the NBA in the future. With the potential of this young core and some trades or free agency signings this team could be really dangerous come playoff time.

The next question is from a man who was literally trash last Halloween, Anthony Brock. His questions is about who will be the MVP this year.

Who will be the MVP this year?

Russell Westbrook is without a doubt a top five player in the league. He is one of the most athletic players in the league today. He is one of the few players in this league that can drop a triple-double any night. He has put up some amazing performances with Kevin Durant and while he was running the team himself because Durant was hurt. This off-season, Kevin Durant decided to leave the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Golden State Warriors. Basically, Kevin Durant left the team that drafted him to a team that went 73-9 and beat the Thunder in the conference finals when they had a 3-1 lead over the Warriors. With Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder for their rival and not telling Russell Westbrook, I believe this has put a fire under Russell which will make him put up crazy numbers. He will play like he has something to prove.

The final question is from my friend Phat who I went to high school with. Whenever we play basketball together he always says he wants to shoot as well as I do. His question is about underdogs in the NBA.

Who do you think will win the NBA championship that isn't the Warriors, Cavaliers, Spurs, or Raptors?

This might sound a little biased, but take away the teams that were mentioned in the question, I believe that the Celtics would win the NBA championship. They have a talented team that is one superstar away from being a serious contender for the championship. With the addition of Al Horford, the Celtics are nearly one or two moves away from contending with the Warriors and Cavaliers. The Celtics will get their superstar this year before the trade deadline or during the NBA off-season.

Those are my first 10 questions answered! I want to thank these 10 people for giving me questions to answer for them. I really appreciate all the questions and I tried to answer them to the best of my ability. I will be answering the next 10 next week, so make sure you guys stay tuned!