NBA Preview: Western Conference

NBA Preview: Western Conference

Who's the best of the West?

11
NBA Preview: Western Conference
nba.com

This article is a follow-up to the Eastern Conference Preview from last week. The top eight squads in the Western Conference are outlined.

1. Golden State Warriors (73-9 2015-16, 1st West)

Coming off a historic regular season, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Co. choked away a Finals lead to LeBron James and his Cleveland team. No worries Warrior fans, only the third best player in the entire world of basketball joins you after getting beaten by you in the conference finals! Kevin Durant's decision to defect to Golden State is a topic I could write another article on, but I digress. Sacrificing Harrison Barnes (now with the flailing franchise in Dallas) for KD is no small upgrade. Computers somehow expect 83 wins from this team. (FYI, that's not logically plausible in the regular season). I won't go that far. (Prediction: 71-11)

2. San Antonio Spurs (67-15 2015-16, 2nd West)

I'm excited for my Spurs this year. Why? Because Kyle Anderson is a rising star, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili want one more ring badly, Kawhi Leonard is arguably the most well-rounded player in the NBA and LaMarcus Aldridge can finally play power forward. If he can't, he'll get traded away. Pau Gasol brings a high post triple threat option to the table as a replacement for surefire Hall-of-Famer Timmy Duncan. God bless that man. (Prediction: 65-17)

3. Los Angeles Clippers (53-29 2015-16, 4th West)

Sadly, the Clippers will never be that team. Chris Paul will go down as an underachieving point guard in many people's eyes because he couldn't make the conference finals. DeAndre Jordan is the most dominating center in the league and doesn't know how to count past 3 because he never shoots more than that many feet away from the rim; he's pretty good. Blake Griffin can still play, and coach Doc Rivers doesn't think it's ever his fault. They're the best of the rest. (Prediction: 54-28)

4. Portland Trail Blazers (44-38 2015-16, 5th West)

Damian Lillard, distinguished rapper, has made a name for his backcourt along with C.J. McCollum. Frontcourt could be an issue but the two guards can carry this team a long way due to the mediocrity in the middle of the West. Meyers Leonard is a key piece to keep an eye on. (Prediction: 47-35)

5. Memphis Grizzlies (42-40 2015-16, 7th West)

All pieces return to give the Grizzlies a good outside shot. Mike Conley is VASTLY overpaid but is a suitable option at point guard. Tony Allen does Tony Allen things, Chandler Parsons is a nice fit, and Marc Gasol is reliable night in and night out, Power forward is a troublesome area; Zach Randolph is aging, and JaMychal Green is a young but inconsistent fallback. Will Memphis have to give up more points because of Z-Bo's slowing down just to stay in games? (Prediction: 46-36)

6. Utah Jazz (40-42 2015-16, 9th West)

The Jazz have been rebuilding for these enxt few years for a long time. Gordon Hayward is the man and will hold all this young and old talent together. George Hill comes in from Indiana to run the point and Joe Johnson can still score proficiently after a stint in Miami. Dante Exum is a nice backup at both guard spots. Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert are fearsome big men. Expect a nice season from the Jazz. (Prediction: 46-36)

7. Oklahoma City Thunder (55-27 2015-16, 3rd West)

Durant leaving is the biggest reason for such a drastic drop. Not to mention Serge Ibaka was traded as well. Russell Westbrook is not human and will have to stay that way for 82 games and more if the Thunder want a playoff berth. Victor Oladipo fills a gaping longtime hole at shooting guard. Ersan Ilyasova and Enes Kanter along with Steven Adams must play beyond comprehension to give OKC a chance to compete. (Prediction: 43-39)

8. Minnesota Timberwolves (29-53 2015-16, 13th West)

This is the breakthrough year for the Wolves. Karl-Anthony Towns is too good to not bring this team to the playoffs for the first time since 2004. Andrew Wiggins is an improving perimeter shooter, Zach LaVine is athletic as heck and a pure scorer, Ricky Rubio dishes it to them all, and Tom Thibodeau already gives this team the defensive intensity and focus it needs. All the pieces are in place for the playoffs. I have to think the first round Warriors-Wolves would be extremely fun to watch. (Prediction: 42-40)