I Am Going To Be A National Champion Baton Twirler

Encouragement for all baton twirlers during Nationals season.

276
Harlie Dale and Tim J Gore

Repeat after me:

I am a baton twirler.

I am a good baton twirler

No, I am a great baton twirler.

I have practiced for this moment.

I have spent hours upon hours drilling my routines in preparation for this moment.

What happens during this moment will not matter in 10 years.

What happens during this moment will not matter in five years.

What happens during this moment will not matter in one year.

So I will try my best and remember that this routine only matters right here, right now.

If I do not succeed here, I will brush it off and try again next year.

But I will try my hardest.

Because I deserve to win just as much as anyone else here.

Because I have worked just as hard as everyone else here.

I have caught every trick.

I have worked really hard.

And I am happy to be here.

I know that my parents are behind me.

I know that my coach is behind me.

And I know my guardian angels, and God, are above me.

I have faith in my routine.

I will remember what my coach taught me.

I will remember what my role models showed me.

I will remember to point my toes.

I will remember to use my freehand.

I will remember to straighten my legs.

I will remember to smile through it all.

But most of all, I will remember stay calm.

I will not panic if I drop my baton.

I will not panic if I slip and fall.

I will not panic if I forget my routine.

I will not panic if I don’t have an answer to my interview question or stumble on my model.

Instead, I will keep my chin high and my smile big.

If I get nervous I will remember the encouraging words my coach taught me.

If I get nervous I will not take it out on my teammates.

If I get nervous I will practice the trick that is making me nervous.

If I get nervous I will close my eyes and take a deep breath.

At nationals I will respect my mom/dad.

I will keep a smile on my face, even when I am sad.

And I will be proud of my teammates and competitors when they do well.

Because if I am happy when I compete, I will twirl, and feel, better.

At nationals I will not cheat any of my tricks.

I will not be a poor sport.

I will not be a sore loser.

And I definitely will not be a sore winner either.

Instead, I will focus on me.

I will focus on my team.

If I lose I will show good sportsmanship and congratulate the competitors around me.

And if I win I will remain humble and grateful.

Now, in this moment, I will leave it all on the floor.

I will show the judges everything I’ve got.

I will have a no drop.

I will stay calm.

I will keep smiling.

I will be myself.

And I will become a National Champion Baton Twirler.

Good luck, twirlers.