NASCAR Or Curling, Which Is A Real Sport?

Look at the facts and decipher yourself!

56
Curling and NASCAR

We all have our pastimes, hobbies, and source of entertainment that give us something to look forward to; whether that be watching television or sports. Sports is something that 21.5 million teenage kids partake in every year. That doesn’t even consider other forms of unofficial organized sports played by children and teens alike. Sports is not just our thing, but it’s the entire world's pastime, it’s just a part of our lives.

Certain sports are more popular in one region than another. The United States national pastime is baseball, hockey is Canada’s sport, and soccer is popular around the world. There are hundreds of other sports out there too and several categories.

When you really sit down and think about it, what really defines a sport? There are so many out there such as baseball, football, hockey, etc. Then we have questionable categories of “do we really consider this a sport?”; bowling, golfing, and curling. And lastly we have that category where people get angry, show their teeth and snarl at you and say Nascar isn’t a sport or even England’s new favorite pastime of Shin Kicking. But the focus of this article is whether or not Nascar or Curling is a sport. What do you consider a sport? Nascar, Curling, both, neither, or maybe you don’t have an opinion because you couldn’t give a frog’s fat ass. Whatever the case may be, let’s us analyze!

The definition of a sport

“What truly defines a sport?” you ask. J. Lewis of Troy, NY states that “I don’t consider any form of professional gathering where there is physical activity or competition a sport unless a black man is involved”. Well luckily for Mr. Lewis, African Americans have been known to compete in both Nascar and Curling. Bubba Wallace currently races in Nascar and they even have a guy in the hall of fame! Wendell Scott is the only African American in the Nascar Hall of Fame for winning in Nascar’s top division in 1963. As for Curling? Believe it or not, tight end Vernon Davis who now plays for the Washington Redskins, was the 2010 Honorary US Captain of the Curling team during the Vancouver Olympics!

The Oxford Dictionary defines a sport as “An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” When you look closely at Curling, it does require a degree of skill to slide the rock across the ice at the just the perfect pitch and rotation so it lands into the target gracefully, and don’t forget the sweepers! The sweepers use a brush to reduce friction under the stone, to make the stones path more straight, and to clean the debris out of the rocks way. Can we even consider sweeping a form of physical exertion or skill? The reality is it does require right timing, coordination, and skill to sweep vigorously and slide down the ice with a stone coming at you. You are also competing against another teams.

Same thing goes for driving stock cars. While most will argue that anyone can sit on their ass all day and drive around in circles; it actually takes a great deal of physical ability to do so. A stock-car weighs about 3500 lbs., are rear wheel drive, and have 800hp. Try controlling that at speeds of 200mph. The cockpit (where the driver sits) can get up to 140-160 degrees inside on average afternoon summer day. A great deal of hydration and concentration is required to stand those elements. Many drivers have been known to drop out of races due to exhaustion and fatigue. Nascar fields 40 other drivers competing against one another with only a few as teammates.

Competitiveness

Although NASCAR races are run for 3-4 hours, racing a distance of 400-500 miles on tracks of varying sizes. Many expect that the racing isn’t competitive until the last few laps of the 400 lap race. Well you’re wrong. As soon as the pace car pulls off the track and the green flag waives, the competition begins. Cars beat and bang across the track to overtake the lead spot and beat their rivals in hope of winning that championship. The competition doesn’t end there either. Cars need refueling and quick maintenance throughout the race and must make pit stops for service. During pit stops, teams try and refuel, change 4 tires, and give quick maintenance to the stock car all in under 15 seconds while trying to beat other teams at it and not get run over at 60 miles an hour, the pit road speed limit.

Curling takes on one other team during play. 2 opposing teams have 4 players on each side and they actually have roles and player position names! The Lead throws the rock first and then sweeps for all the other players. The Second throws second and also sweeps all the other players shots. The Vice throws third and holds the brush for the skip and sweeps the shots for the Lead and the Second, and last but not least the Skip (the Team Captain) throws last. The Skip also holds the brush for other players and tells the others when to sweep along with watching the curl of the stone. Curling is described as a sport of etiquette and teams alternate throwing with each other. They share the same sheet of ice and after each teams throw their stones the vices on both teams get together and determine the score. This sounds really boring but it’s more a Canadian thing so that’s why It’s so proper and whatnot.

Entertainment Value

Just as blue collar NASCAR fans will rant and rave, throw beer cans, and have blondes take their shirts off in excitement over NASCAR racing; you can expect the same kind of loyalty from Curling fans…. maybe not the same kind of cheering but you get the point. Entertainment value is very important when it comes to sports. If nobody watches it, like the WNBA, then there is no purpose to the sport. You want to kick the other team’s ass, brag about it, and have people care for your accomplishments. Everyone has heard of Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, and Richard Petty; prominent legends of NASCAR. Do we have legends of Curling? I cannot name one. Which is more entertaining to watch, NASCAR or Curling? J. Burnell of Chatham, NY states that “I actually sit there and watch the entire event (Curling) during the Olympics whereas NASCAR is entertaining when they turn right.” Ryan of West Sand Lake, NY added that “NASCAR is entertaining for the wrecks”. What exactly makes Curling more entertaining you ask? “I don’t know” states Lisa of Defreestville, NY. You decide folks!