Why You Should Go To Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico
Health Wellness

Why You should Go To Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico

I spent a week on the island of Resilience, Puerto Rico and it was worth it.

144
Allison Penado

I have never fallen in love so fast. For my first abroad trip alone, this was one of the most moving and unforgettable trips I could have taken. I saw old friends, bonded more than ever with my cousin, and saw the beautiful art, culture, and architecture. I did things I never thought I would do. I have never felt more at peace.

Would you believe me if I said that I jumped from a bridge with no harness? It was a bridge that's in the middle of an interstate. Would you believe that I got to paddle board with manatis? Or that gas over is only 50 cents? How can the Ubers there be paid in cash? In Puerto Rico, you have to be 21 to get a tattoo and 18 to consume and purchase alcohol, but it's the opposite here. If you ever decide to go down there, here is why you should.

Allison Penado

From the minute you step out of the airport, or even from the plane when landing, the sights are beautiful–breathtaking. Of all the sights I've seen, an hour walk around San Juan will make you lose track of where you are and see the most important landmarks all within the same area and perimeter.

Allison Penado

The first thing I saw on my street was Calle Sol. This castle is the hot spot for tourists to be picked up and dropped off. You can take pictures along the wall, where you can see a crystal clear ocean and the wind catches your hair perfectly. I never went into the castle myself because I wasn't sure if we had to pay or not, but I did have a fun little photo shoot. Also, don't be afraid to ask someone to take your picture. Whether you speak English or Spanish, you will find someone willing to take photos for you and no one steals phones. The Castillo open grass field to the left is a great spot to fly kites and see dogs walking around. Then again, I don't know how to get a kite to catch air!

Allison Penado

Allison Penado

If you're wondering who the guy in the picture is, he is a friend I met at school. He moved when the hurricanes hit Puerto Rico. Although his reason for moving was not under the best circumstance, I'm glad that I got to meet him and his brother and to visit the beautiful island they call home. Our first day there, he took me down into what is known as La Perla, or "the pearl". It is a little town down by the shore. The minute you walk in, you see beautiful artwork throughout the buildings and a lot of chickens. There are many ruined buildings. The sad part is that you can't tell if they are destroyed by hurricanes or are just old buildings (San Juan is known for Old Architecture). If you are looking for a stroll or just a peaceful spot on the coast, this is it. Because it is a very run-down village, it may seem scary to head down there. But don't be discouraged–you'd be surprised what you find.

Allison Penado

This is known as the park of pigeons, or La Parque De Las Palomas. It is probably the most heavily populated location for the pigeons to be fed. Tourists walk down the streets of San Juan to go feed and spend time with pigeons. The corn that people sell is really cheap. For a whole baggie, I only paid one dollar. In this little plaza, you can spend hours with birds swarming, like in "Nemo". And if you want to gain some arm muscle, this is perfect! Pigeons weigh more than they look... And once they see food in your hand, they will not leave you.

Allison Penado

This is called Condado Beach. Here, you can paddleboard with manatis for $20 an hour or so. The walk from San Juan to Condado Beach is about an hour (which, by the way, was such a difficult walk because the humidity was so bad). Once you hit this little lagoon, you hear music and see people jumping off the local bridge, diving into the river that leads to the ocean. You see water obstacle courses for kids and jet skis. When you walk or drive by the bridge, you think "Wow, this looks so easy and like so much fun!" Nope. I remember that my cousin and I spent THREE HOURS just standing on the ledge, debating how to jump–sitting or standing. The locals were obviously just jumping in as if it was nothing. The height is completely deceiving. After a long debate on whether we should jump (and having two local guys yell "JUMP! JUST JUMP, COME ON!" in Spanish), I closed my eyes, stuck my leg out, and...

I nearly had a heart attack. NOT ONLY DID I THINK I WAS GOING TO HIT A ROCK, BUT I SWEAR I COULD'VE FELT OR SEEN A MANATI IN THE DISTANCE. If you're an adrenaline junkie, then this is THE spot for you. Go to it!

El Yunque National Forest is the hotspot for hiking and waterfalls. A round-trip ferry ride to Culebra Island is only four dollars and fifty cents. There is so much to do in Puerto Rico, but to explain and tell would take an incredibly long time. It's not something to be rushed!

Aside from going to Condado Beach, we went to the nearby beach called Isla Verde. Here, I definitely recommend going to a restaurant called Chiddos. This place not only has KILLER margaritas but vegan burritos that are so worth it. The Uber from San Juan to Isla Verde cost ten dollars, and most of our Uber trips cost the same amount or less!

Allison Penado

This location has been the trickiest, by farm because not only does it feel like everything here is connected–it actually is. The location has El Morro, La Casa Rosa, La Puerta de Puerto Rico, and all-in-all is known as the National Historic Site.

Allison Penado

Allison Penado

The Plaza De Las Americas is one of the biggest malls in all of the Carribean. It has over 300 stores. If you love to shop until you drop, this is the best place for you. Here, I was not only fascinated by the beauty of the mall but surprised to see that they had a big water fountain in the middle of it. Not only did it go as high as the second floor, but it had such powerful force that you would even get some sprinkled on you when passing by the escalator. The traffic there is nothing compared to any highway or interstate traffic. There isn't much advice to give because we've all gone shopping before, but I do recommend that you come with a lot of money!

Now the extremely fun part: Nightlife! Nightlife can be found anywhere in Peurto Rico, but they key is to always head out to Santurce, Puerto Rico. In Old San Juan specifically, there are always little restaurants that play live music or even have tables outside for casual dining and family fun. But if you're looking for a young and crazy night, than Santurce is the place for you. The time to head out on Fridays and Saturdays is 11 P.M. When we got to Santurce, it was the most crowded little plaza ever.

Santurce is a little town part of old San Juan. The location of all the bars and restaurants is known as the Plazita. Since I'm 18, I was not worried about getting into the clubs to dance, but I was worried for my cousin. Oddly enough, they didn't even ID or ask questions. The greatest thing about the area is that not only do the crowds dance and sing when the bars and clubs are so full, but everyone is polite about getting around one another. When I mentioned to my mom that my cousin and I went to a club, she gave me a concerned look. But for those who are reading and are concerned, I did not drink nor did I let my cousin drink. We could've easily gotten drinks and taken advantage of it. I knew that since this was our first time "clubbing," it had to be a safe one–especially in a country that we didn't know.

If you decide to go to the Plazita, go to a place called Aguardiente. The music there is fantastic and changes up a lot. The people there are actually really nice and respectful. Although I will warn you that it is a very crowded area, you will never want to wipe the smile off your face. If I could add videos, I would. Trust me.

Once the late weekend nights are done, Old San Juan's music and lights die down. It becomes a peaceful town. Santurce bars and clubs close until Thursday night. You'll hear the famous coqui's music. The coqui is a famous little frog that is known to fill the silent nights with the sound of little birds whistling. You see lizards and stray kittens throughout the day. You hear old people playing dominos outside and you hear the faint music of family parties. You can go climb El Morro's walls and hear the ocean waves crashing.

Peurto Rico was a trip that I'll never forget, even if I looked like this at the end of the day:

And in the morning, this was me:

This trip was definitely worth the sleep deprivation!