My Time As A Bus Boy In New York City

My Time As A Bus Boy In New York City

Although I could freely walk out the door at any moment, I had to speak up for the rest.

16
My Time As A Bus Boy In New York City
Like Success

Working at Casimir and Co. was probably the most humiliating and dehumanizing experience I'd ever had. For starters, the oppressive environment, on top of the demanding tasks, was overbearing. It was common working a double shift for two days straight, with no breaks in between. Additionally, managers breathed over your neck, micromanaging you as if their life depended on it.

Why would I work at such a horrible place? Well, I live in New York City, and like most New Yorkers, at times I find myself in need of extra cash, fast. And there is no faster way to earn cash than in a New York City restaurant. I literally walked up to the, now former manager, asked for a job, and started that week! Just like that! Fast, and easy. But just as fast as you get hired, you get fired. The turnover rate of employees is staggering, but that shouldn't come to a surprise.

Record-low wages. Sky-high oppression.

The tactics these managers use to keep everyone intimidated is done by instilling fear in everyone. And it damn well works! They make sure you know they are watching you, at all times, threaten to fire you, and humiliate you in front of clients. They question your work ethic, speaking in a condescending tone, and all for minimum wage: $7.50. Sometimes, the wage is lower than that, as low as $4.50 an hour. Now you may be thinking, "What about the tips?" Tips fluctuate, as it depends on the service rendered that day, and how much of a tip the customers actually leaves you. Suffice to say, a New Yorker cannot survive on tips alone.

Even when you've had enough, you could say nothing.

Before I get into the fear part, I want to note the positive part of my experience at Casimir and Co. -- I am an optimist and always look for the good in the worst of situations. My fellow colleagues at Casimir and Co. are phenomenal human beings. Despite the grueling demands from management, they were always charismatic, with passions in the arts, and had dreams beyond the kitchen. They held on to these dreams, tightly, as if that were the only thing keeping them sane during shifts. As if that was all they had to survive.

Casimir And Co. Address: 1022A Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10021

They could say nothing about the humiliation and maltreatment they underwent at Casimir. How could they, when they heavily depended on this job to pay their rent, feed their kids and pay for school? They could not risk losing their main source of income for speaking up, and it hurt me to see that go on. One day, during an extremely busy day, one of the "qualified" managers became more demanding than usual. Rushing us to get our work done. "Get this done faster!" she exclaimed, "I needed this yesterday!" I could see the discomfort the clients and my colleague had on their faces. After all, 10 hours into the shift, with no break, poor guy was gone. I couldn't take it at that moment, and so I spoke up.

I let mademoiselle Jasmin Estrella know to calm down, and to hire Olympians if she wanted us to sprint like them. I was stern and assertive with her, demanding respect. I gave no fucks! The tasks were many, and we knew what to prioritize: clear and set up the tables, clean buckets of silverware and baskets loaded with dirty glasses. We knew exactly what to do. There was no need for the condescending tone she gave.

I also took the liberty to advise Mr. Patrick Laurent, owner of Casimir, that withholding wages for several months at a time was not only illegal, but cruel and inconsiderate.

Truth is, I didn't need to stay...

I am an Analyst at an advertisement company, and that pays me well enough to sustain myself, so I didn't need Casimir to survive. I only needed extra cash for a new Macbook. I was fortunate enough to leave that place, to never look back. I am only left with memories now, of my friends, and I am saddened by what they have to endure, but overjoyed when I think of the good times we created. The casual French lessons from Marion, the joking around with the bus boys, A.K.A The Dream Team. We overcame adversity through the worst of work environments, and that connected us profoundly. We could all say we survived that horror together. I found that I deeply cared about these folks at Casimir and wanted to best for them. If only I knew a way to help the owner, the so-called leader see how special of people they are. Then maybe, just maybe, Casimir and Co. could become a decent place to work and dine.

I did not depend on Casimir to make ends meet, and that is the reason why I was able to speak up. No regrets do I have doing so, and I would do it all over again given the chance. Unfortunately, to speak up today is a luxury not everyone can afford...