Why I Write

Why I Write

It started off as a stress reliever

51
Why I Write
Oregon Jewish Museum

Writing has always been a habit of mine. That might sound kind of strange, but essentially, I have always leaned on writing to help alleviate the stress in my life. So initially, I never labeled it as a “passion.”

My fixation on writing began around my seventh or eighth grade year, and I hadn’t even realized it. I never knew how to put my feelings into words when talking to other people, but it was so easy to translate it by putting pen to paper. Eventually, I took to a private blog to pour out all I was feeling completely unfiltered, something that I still do to this day.

Somehow over time, my saving grace became my passion. This passion for writing turned into an endeavor to pursue journalism. My freshman year of high school, I was obsessed with my high school newspaper, The Bruin Voice. It was nationally recognized, and highlighted many political and social issues that I cared deeply about even at 14-years-old.

The decision to join the staff of The Bruin Voice my sophomore year was a huge step for me. I was shy, awkward, and the youngest person in the class. However, I had a whole lot more burning inside of me.

Throughout those high school years on staff, my voice steadily grew from the insecure whisper that I had started out with. With the help of my amazing English and Journalism teacher, Kathi Duffel, I found the fire in my voice ㅡ and I fell in love with it.

Now, I want nothing more than to bring an impact through my writing. I have learned over the years, what exactly that entails. Writing goes beyond simply having an extensive vocabulary or impeccable grammar. It is the ability to empathize with others and the world around you. It is the power to touch on subjects, whether they be politics or just life advice, and strike a chord within your audience.

Writing in all of it’s forms stretches beyond the paper or computer screen and touches the heart of the individual. I have found a love for writing both political and personal pieces, and I hope that with the swiftness of my hands, I can move mountains.

But I am an amature, with so much to learn still. I’m so grateful to have moved people in some sense with my writing, and it’s something I hope to do for the rest of my life, as nothing else gives me that same fulfillment. I figure that if I’m going to live one life on this Earth, I want it to be worthwhile ㅡ and I want to make an impact.

Writing is a habit, it’s a stress reliever, it’s my kryptonite, and it is my passion.

I might not reach a million people at once in my lifetime, but as long as I can reach just one, I will feel like I have done my job. If I could move the heart of one person, I hope I can move yours, too.