My Favorite Childhood TV Shows and What They Taught Me

Some of life's best lessons I learned from my childhood tv shows.

52
Frat Music

In my honest opinion, some of the best children's television shows came out in the 90s and early 2000s. Some of the television shows that are geared towards children nowadays seem to me to be nothing but mind-rotting idiocy, filled with terribly-conspicuous double entendres and hackneyed ideas, ripped from far superior television shows already in existence. Not only are my favorite children's television shows awesome because they just are, they are also great for kids because they teach valuable life lessons that can benefit a child in the long run.

These are the best of the best, according to me.

1. Might Morphin Power Rangers

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is perhaps one of the most epic television shows from my childhood. Fiercely loyal, these teens taught me the values of working as a team. Other than their unyielding dedication to one another and to their team as a whole, they also taught me to be brave in the face of hardship. And lastly, humility, an integral part of the t.v. show. While the Rangers went out and saved Angel Grove on a weekly basis, the citizens with whom they interacted waxed praise for the Power Rangers. The teens had to act as if they weren't the ones saving the city, and sit in humble silence.

2. The Magic School Bus

The Magic School Bus, and the kooky Ms. Frizzle, taught me the value of scientific inquiry. It illuminated me on the huge importance of the scientific community and their every accomplishment. It gave me (and many, many plethoras of other kids) the chance to see things and how they work up close, albeit within the confines of a magically-transforming school bus.

3. Rugrats

Rugrats. Momma would put me in the bath and turn up the t.v.'s volume in the living room, and you better believe I was out of that tub by the time that first "Duh duh duh duh duh duh" came on. Those babies gave me such a sense of imagination! Their crazy antics of going to far-out places like the Wild West or exploring deep caves to save their beloved hero, Reptar, were enough to inspire my dreams to be vivid and wholesome. The Rugrats taught me that nothing is beyond my own imagination, so long as I am able to harness that power.

4. As Told By Ginger

The show As Told By Ginger targeted pre-teens who were acclimating with the heightened social scene that inevitably accompanies that time period for most people. With that awkward and unsure phase of life comes a number of relevant and valuable life lessons, like kindness and integrity. The show was a beacon of morality for children in a world that would rather create mind-rotting programs meant only to entertain instead of guiding and molding the young minds who view them.

5. Rocket Power

The incredible show, Rocket Power, was created in an attempt to get kids interested in sports. And though I never quite got the hang of being an athlete, I nonetheless learned to value the outdoors and physical activity. Though the kids in the show had their own types of problems and stressors, they still managed to find time to catch a few waves or grind some rails after class (or when they skipped.) It was designed to make kids see that traditional exercise isn't the only way to be physically healthy and happy.

6. Pokémon

At seven years of age, I recall getting for Christmas a copy of Pokémon: The First Movie on VHS, a cassette tape of the movie's soundtrack, a big Pokémon bedspread, and the best one of all, a plush stuffed Pikachu. I still have that Pikachu, he's sitting in my room right now. He's my buddy, always has been. Pokémon inspired me to always strive to be the very best, that no one ever was. It taught me the value of having a highly-defined work ethic, because without that, I would never have made it where I am now.

7. Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yu-Gi-Oh! gave me a love for competition. And not just friendly competition. High-stakes, winner-takes-all competition. It taught me that sometimes you have to put it all out there if you're expecting any significant outcome. It also taught me about trust and unwavering faith in what you believe in, regardless of the crowd. It taught me how to be a sportsmanlike person in any sort of competition, even if I lose.

8. All That

The teens' version of Saturday Night Live, All That was hilarious to the point of tears. Actual tears. And though if I watch it nowadays it seems cheesy, back in the innocent days it was indeed all that. It was a great way to spend Saturday night, and it was sure to make you laugh!

9. Avatar: The Last Airbender

Avatar: The Las Airbender gave me a deep and abiding love for the elements, and as such, Mother Nature. It provided me with ever-increasing wisdom designed to penetrate even the rigid of people. It seeps into the heart and mind and opens the both of them up to change, as well as profound wisdom, all through the guise of an eleven year old boy.

10. The Wild Thornberrys

The Wild Thornberrys was an absolutely eye-opening television show for me. It introduced me to the sensitivities of nature, and it gave me an overpowering sense of wonder. It taught me that all life is precious, and that it is worth studying, documenting, preserving, and protecting. It stands to reason that, because of the love it gave to me for animals, it gave me an enormous sense of compassion. It allowed me to start seeing beyond myself and for the greater good.

The late '90s and early 2000s were a great time to be a child. That time period enabled me to not only be entranced by television, but to grow and learn from the programs available to watch. There isn't any coincidence in my watching such great television shows; my mother was adamantly against t.v. shows that provided no mental or emotional growth. I thank her for that, and I thank these t.v. shows and their creators for giving me such an epically outstanding childhood.