Music Helps Mood Therapy

Music Is A Form Of Therapy I Won't Be Able To Find Anywhere Else In The World

From feeling down to feeling angered, music somehow is able to be the gateway to a world without negativity.

128
Unsplash / bruce mars
https://unsplash.com/photos/DBGwy7s3QY0

At the time I'm writing this piece, I am knee deep in piles of papers and finals study guides that have been threatening me to study for weeks. And I'm knee deep in finals. Safe to say, I've given myself more than enough work to be safely procrastinating without concern, but the concern I've been feeling comes from the impending danger looming around the finals heading my way.

And that's where music comes in for me. Outside of speaking with my friends, I rarely delve specifically into how tiring school can be on my mental health, to the point where I'll be too exhausted to want to go to school the next day. Junior year has been a struggle (as I've been saying time and time again this school year), and standardized testing and extracurriculars haven't done much to alleviate the stress.

SEE ALSO: Junior Year Is A Roller-Coaster Of Emotions I'm Afraid To Endure

But music has been a comforting solace from the rest of the world. I can just wear my headphones, and for hours, I'll be gone from everyone else. Whether I'm cramming for a huge test the next day or trying to fall asleep with formulas running through my mind, music has just... helped.

Talking to your friends about everything going on in your life doesn't help anyone. They shouldn't be listening to you speak about yourself every moment you're together, and you shouldn't be dedicating your friendship to ranting sessions. Besides that, talking to others doesn't genuinely help me overcome my emotions. Music, though, doesn't complain.

It never budges when you ask for it to play the same song on loop for hours, and it never asks to leave when you want to listen to a huge playlist you compiled at three in the morning (well, except for if you're willing to watch an ad for 30 minutes of ad-free music). The problems a student faces are so mixed with emotion that trying to navigate one's way out of these issues is impossible to do in one sitting. Which is why music is that chance to breathe and realize that problems have to leave on their own.

I recognize a few things my friends do whenever they feel certain ways, and a common trend I see is that they'll seclude themselves from a group when they're sad. And how so? They'll put in headphones and escape the conversation.

It's become second nature for us to just have music running in the background as we somehow wallow in emotion that we wish would just disappear. There's some unspoken clarity when a song comes up that speaks to one's current state, and that's always the best feeling. So when I see someone missing from the crowd because they're by themselves listening to music, it's understandable. No one complains because they would do exactly the same thing.

I'm listening to music right now. By habit, I opened up my December playlist and let the songs do the rest. Music is a therapy of its own, and I don't think I'll ever find something that consoles me the way it does. And even from a less emotional, more scientific perspective, yes, it does affect your mood.

I wish there were some temporary physical manifestation of music that I could thank for all its done for me. It's always listened, even if there was nothing for me to say. I have that to be eternally grateful for.