This I Believe

This I Believe

Music keeps the world going.

36
This I Believe

Music keeps the planet spinning.

All my life I have believed that music makes life better. When I’ve been in a good mood, music has made me feel great, and when I’ve felt depressed, music has given me the motivation to keep on living. Being able to turn on my favourite song when I need a pick-me-up, or to dance around wherever I go like nobody is watching makes me feel stronger. I feel like I am invincible, or like I can conquer anything. Familiar melodies make me feel safe, and a good song makes the world around me melt away for a while.

I firmly believe that music heals, that it is therapeutic, and that it can be found everywhere you go. Even in the silence you can hear a song. The sound of your own heart is the beat of the drum. In nature there is the rustling of trees as a breeze blows by, a mockingbird that sings one of its many songs, and the crickets that chirp at night. You will be amazed at what you will hear if you stop and listen for a while. The world revolves because of the music that life creates. And our own individual lives continue on because of the music that we play on the radio, in movies and on tv, in an elevator, or because of the songs that we sing in the shower.

Music is a universal language. It can be felt and understood where words at times cannot. I believe that this is the true power of song. I have made more friends and formed more bonds through a mutual interest in music than anything else in life.

I believe that a song can mean more than words, and because of this, I often communicate through music. If I don’t know how to talk to someone, or say something to a friend, I will send them a link to a song that conveys how I feel. I have even taken the time to write songs for people that I know who have greatly impacted me; a poem for the boy who broke my heart, an instrumental for my best friend who was there for me when nobody else was.

I don’t think that I would survive without music in my life. I encourage everyone to find a favourite song, to sing every day, and to dance more often. It will make everything better.

This I believe.