Moving Into An Empty Apartment Is Way Different Than A Place With Furniture

You think you have a lot of stuff until you're staring directly into a mostly-empty bedroom.

35

Last week, I moved into my new apartment. There's nothing really new about that for me because I did it last year and in a dorm room the year before that. The only difference is that my new place did not provide furniture outside standard kitchen appliances while the previous two places did.

As I moved out of my last place and the hours wore on, I kept thinking, "Man, I have a lot of stuff. Why do I have so much stuff?" There were boxes and bins everywhere; I even had to rent a storage unit to make the moving process a bit easier given the limited amount of car space shared between my parents and I.

Once move-in day arrived and all my possessions had been lugged up the stairs, I looked around and then thought to myself, "I am woefully unprepared to live here."

I had spent a few hours beforehand driving around town to set up all the logistics related to renting, but the sheer amount of work to be done and the lack of space to put things has delayed the process of settling in.

Almost a week later, I am just about done aside from a few more small things I want to buy and a few more ways I want to decorate my bedroom to make it feel cozier. The reason it has taken me so long is that I've had to go to work in order to pay to live in this place.

If you find yourself approaching a similar situation as me, I would highly recommend not procrastinating as I did in the weeks before move-in as well as paying close attention to the dimensions of each of the apartment's rooms during a preview of the building. You certainly don't want to bring too much and be cramped, but if you're anything like me, you also don't want to feel out of place and be awkwardly sitting on the floor to do your makeup in the morning since you have not yet bought a table to work as a vanity.

Renting an apartment is a lot of work, but it can also be extremely rewarding. You have opportunities to learn about yourself, discover why it's a bad idea to stay up late watching YouTube, and agonize every night about what the heck you should make for dinner.

Ah, the joys of early adulthood.