Mourning The Life Of Someone Who Hasn't Passed

What do you do when someone you love, doesn't support your decision to be happy?

28
Volkan Olmez

Hiding in a world full of judgment and hate, you would hope to share your happiness with those who have always been there for you. What happens when one of those people becomes the biggest judgment?

Dear Brother,

I know you don't want to hear from me; the very thought of my family and me seems to pass through your mind like a hangover after a night of drinking. I constantly find myself mourning over you, but the funny thing is you are still alive.

You see, I get it. I don't fit in your picture perfect world—you know, the world where you feel that a marriage can only be between one man and one woman. I accept that for you, but I can't accept that for me, for I have felt incomplete for most of my life; my life in which I watched you grow up. I watched as most kids made fun of you and I stuck up for you at times. You are my brother, so why wouldn't I? I have felt incomplete until I realized that I have a big a heart, a lot of love to give, in which I married my best friend just like you did yours.

The thing is, my heart—our heart—still had even more love to give; why should we limit ourselves when others out there are searching for the same thing?

Why should we raise our children in such a way that when they are older they feel like their kind of love is wrong? Why can't we teach them that it's okay to love a man, a woman, or be involved in a multi-person relationship?

Polyamory is not wrong, it's a lifestyle that is taught in your Bible as being wrong. However, just take a moment and remember that passing judgment is also not your place.

I have sat back and asked myself, "What did I do to deserve this?" The fact is, I have done nothing except open my heart and I have allowed myself to be complete. I have come to the realization that in finding my happiness, I have been forced to mourn the loss of someone whom I also loved unconditionally, and that person is you.

You will most likely never understand or come to terms with my lifestyle, and for that, I am sorry. I am sorry that you have become the close minded hypocrite, much like those who used to not open their minds and accept you for you.

I can not protect you from yourself or your family, but I can protect myself and my family from you. I choose to educate our children in a loving and accepting environment so that one day when they are older, they can be the ones who do not pass judgment and can stick up for those who are being criticized.

As I conclude this, you should also know that, as my brother, I will always love you. For now, I must mourn you, for I have lost you, but your memory will live on.

With great sincerity,

Someone You Once Called Sissy