A Thank-You To The Parents Speaking Up Against Bullying At Willard City Schools

It's long awaited.

90
Kaur Thoughts

This year, we lost a child to bullying.

My first day of high school was spent with my face in the toilet for thirty-five minutes. I threw up five times. I had already made enemies.

She knew, he said, we thought, I saw, she did, he shouldn't have. Gossip in a small town was enough to make my shoulders tremble at the thought of crossing a senior girl again.

"Can we send her?" my father asked, concern on his face.

"Nerves. She has to go, it's the first day." my mother responded as she grabbed her bag.

I spent 10 years in the Willard City School System.

I watched as teachers single out allegedly promiscuous students.

I was assaulted in 8th grade. A student hit me in the back of the head, sat on me, and clawed at my face. My mom, who knew I was fearful that the student would do such a thing (as the staff was), had not yet pulled away from the parking lot. She ran inside and pulled the student off of me as two male teachers watched. I never touched the other student.

She was suspended for three days. Basketball started the following week.

That same year, a male student (who is now in prison) pushed me against a locker and shoved a penny down my shirt, because I was "two-faced and worthless." He was back in class the next week.

My sophomore year of high school, I was filmed while changing in the locker room. I remember sobbing after I had heard about the video, begging a gym teacher to let me go to the office. I was embarrassed. I was devastated. I was angry. He refused because it was "almost the end of the day." After the bell rang, I raised hell in the office.

She was suspended for three days.

I left Willard City Schools. In spite of my difficult teenage years, I am a successful young adult. I am attending a state university, studying a field I love, and adding wonderful things to my resume and loving my adventure-filled life. Yet, my heart is often sad when I realize that there is a girl, before her first day of high school, crying in fear.

Ageism. Racism. Classism. Sexism. I witnessed prejudice of all sorts while attending Willard High School.

Remember Rachel's Challenge? We had a presentation, grades 7-12, in which we learned about the Columbine massacre and kind words.

To Willard City Schools administration, take your egos (often tainted with pervertedness and self-interest), your twisted agendas, and your lack of humanity and get it away from children.

PUT THE KIDS FIRST.

Stop firing staff that genuinely cares about students. Stop punishing students for speaking up against what's wrong. Quit speaking to parents as they are inferior. A slap on the wrist does not serve as a punishment. It sends a strong message, though-- that what they are doing is okay.

I am so thankful for the members of the community grouping together and speaking out against the bullying occurring at Willard City Schools. I feel as though you are standing up for me.

It shouldn't take a Netflix series or a suicide to realize that when you say something to hurt someone, it sticks with them. It stays inside their minds as they cry on the bathroom floor, crushed with sadness because there is nobody to turn to. They forget with lips pressed to vodka bottles and cigarettes too young and fights in the lunchroom and sometimes, when it's bad enough, giving up.

Suicide is not a weak way to escape. Suicide is hopeless, and no one should ever feel that way.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Call 1-800-273-8255

Available 24 hours everyday

This year, we lost a child to bullying.

**Disclaimer** I am in no way affiliated with Willard City Schools and do not speak on behalf of any staff member, student, or administrator.