Most Of Your Favorite Makeup Brands Are NOT Cruelty-Free

Cruelty-free makeup products provide consumers with the makeup products they want, without the painful testing on animals they don't.

726

Maybelline, Neutrogena, Benefit, Covergirl, Nars- just some of the famous makeup brands that aren't actually animal cruelty-free. Makeup companies that test their ingredients, formulations, or finished products on animals are placing their financials at a higher importance than their morals. Find out which makeup brands are testing on animals and reconsider supporting their companies. By buying products from them, you're supporting painful, inhumane testing on innocent animals.

Among the makeup brands testing on animals include:

Avon: The Company for Women

Benefit

Bobbi Brown

Boscia

Clarins

Clinique

Elizabeth Arden

Estēe Lauder

Glam Glow

La Mer

L'Oréal

Make Up For Ever

Mary Kay

Maybelline

NARS

Neutrogena

OPI

Origins

Revlon

Victoria's Secret

Avon is the company for women, but apparently not the company for animals. Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline, but maybe animals aren't okay with being tested on. Benefit gives you radiant, luminous cosmetics, but never at the benefit of animals. Many makeup companies like these still pay for poisonous and deadly testing on animals. China requires by law that makeup products sold in their market are tested on animals. Choosing to sell products in China means paying for cruel, painful experiments on animals in order to increase sales.

According to PETA, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate "cruelty-free" or "not tested on animals" packaging labels. This means companies can say their products are cruelty-free, even if they're truly not. Unless the official PETA cruelty-free bunny logo is placed on a product, it isn't listed on the official "Don't Test" list from PETA's company license and isn't officially cruelty-free. Labels can be deceptive, so be sure to check PETA's Don't Test List for the truly cruelty-free companies.

Some companies, like L'Oréal, even try to mislead the truth when releasing information to their consumers. According to Cruelty-Free Kitty, L'Oréal states in their animal testing FAQ,

"L'Oréal no longer tests any of its products or any of its ingredients on animals, anywhere in the world. Nor does L'Oréal delegate this task to others."

They later state,

"An exception could be made if authorities required it for human safety or regulatory purposes."

L'Oréal is actually funding animal testing of their finished products in China, where it's required by law, deceiving their consumers. In 2012, the FDA issued a warning to L'Oréal accusing the company of advertising certain products in a way that misleads the consumers. After later being sued by the FDA, the company stated they wouldn't use ingredients tested on animals after March 2013 or use ingredients tested for cosmetic reasons only. In other words, if ingredients weren't tested for only cosmetic reasons or were tested before 2013, they will continue to include them in their products. This ongoing issue creates a loophole for L'Oréal and their animal cruelty makeup products.

Instead of falling into the deceitful trap set by animal cruelty brands like L'Oréal, support companies that care about innocent animals. Buy from makeup brands that are certified as cruelty-free by PETA and encourage others to do the same. If you're thinking it would be too difficult to find an entire makeup routine based only on cruelty-free products or that it would be too expensive to change all of your makeup products, I guarantee it's not.

For years, I used Neutrogena's True Match Foundation but now I use E.L.F.'s Flawless Finish FoundationE.L.F.'s Flawless Finish Foundation- which is only $6.00. Similar to Neutrogena's foundation, the E.L.F. foundation comes in different shades and different undertones, except the E.L.F. foundation, comes with the clear consciousness of knowing animals weren't injured in order to provide you with the perfect foundation match. Cruelty-Free Kitty even lists 16 Best Cruelty-Free Foundations for Different Skin Types16 Best Cruelty-Free Foundations for Different Skin Types, many of which are drugstore brands that can be found at your local Walmart or Target.

Some of the PETA certified cruelty-free drugstore makeup brands include:

E.L.F.

EcoTools

Flower

Hard Candy

Milani

Physicians Formula

Some of the PETA certified cruelty-free high-end makeup brands include:

Anastasia Beverly Hills

Bare Minerals

Bite Beauty

Kat Von D

IT Cosmetics

Marc Jacobs Beauty

Tarte Cosmetics

Too Faced

Urban Decay

Supporting cruelty-free makeup brands doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your wallet or reimagine your go-to makeup routine. There are plenty of inexpensive makeup brands that don't test on animals and will give you a better, more radiant glow, knowing you're supporting the humane choice. If you want amazing results from makeup products without a high price tag, Walmart or Target have you covered. If you prefer high-end brands from stores like Sephora or Ulta, just know you'll have plenty of options from there too. When you search cruelty-free full face makeup routine on YouTube, you'd be amazed by how many videos there are to help you revamp your everyday look- as always, just be sure to double-check the brands used in the video on the PETA list in case companies changed sides after a video was posted.

Whatever type of makeup guru you are, remember you can make a difference while still looking and feeling beautiful. Be sure to only buy from PETA certified, cruelty-free makeup companies and encourage your friends and family to do the same. Only supporting cruelty-free makeup brands brings us all one step closer to a revolutionized market of humane, ethical makeup products created without hurting the innocent animals of the world.