Why Monmouth University Is The Best University

After three years, I can say without a doubt I picked the right college.

139
www.flickr.com

It's that time of year again: spring semester finals week. Classes are over and all that stands in the way of the students and professors from summer is finals. It's always a time of mixed emotions for most students, including myself. On the bright side, no need to stress over projects and tests for a few months. The following months will be filled with nice warm weather and a schedule that is not nearly as jammed as it has been since January. But on the downside, you leave Monmouth and some friends for a while. You won't have lunch with the same people you have been for about the next four months.

It's a bittersweet time of year. But every year around this time I find myself thinking about how I could not be happier with my college selection all those years ago when I was a senior in high school. And the feeling is even stronger this year, as next year I will be starting my senior year at Monmouth. How the time flies!

They don't lie when they say your time in college will go by fast. I feel like I was just walking down the halls of Howell High School, and now I am only about a year away from getting my diploma from Monmouth. With all that said, here are some of the things that make Monmouth the absolute best college around, and things that any Monmouth student will likely agree with.

The campus

Simply put, we have one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. The grass is a bright green. The buildings are just amazing to look at. There are plenty of locations you could go outside and just sit and enjoy the view.

Wilson Hall and the Guggenheim Library are simply some of the nicest looking buildings you will ever see. If you have never used a bathroom in Wilson, I highly recommend you check them out on the lower level. They have an old-time feel and one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen.

The scenery is endless as well. Everywhere you look you can take a picture that could go on a postcard. If they don't have one already, they should make a calendar of pictures from around campus, since it's that nice.

The proximity to the beach

How many colleges can say you can walk to the beach from campus? Not too many. Whether you just want to walk the beach or find it a nice study spot, the beach is utilized by almost all students at some point during the year.

Want a place to go for a jog? You can jog to or on the beach. Want a place to just sit to clear your head? You can sit on the beach. Want a nice place to take your girlfriend/boyfriend to have lunch? Grab some food and a blanket and hit the beach. Point is, the beach can be used in so many ways.

Plus, you can take the short ride over to Pier Village, and your options grow even more. You can grab some food there. You can walk the boardwalk if you don't want to walk on the sand but still take in the beach view.

The new pizza and Dunkin Donuts

I just had to include this one, because the new pizza they have brought in this year is so much better than the last few years. It is legit real and fresh pizza, made right in front of you. You feel like you are in a pizzeria as there are plenty of pies to choose from and it is always so good.

Then adding Dunkin was also a nice move. If you want a quick snack, you can grab a donut. If you need an energy boost, no need to leave campus to grab your coffee. Overall the new food system that was brought in this season has been a home run and so much better than years prior.

The off-campus food options

While the food on campus is good, it's always nice to have some local places that you can't go anywhere else. Monmouth has plenty of options. Whether you want a snack, lunch, ice cream, or dinner, there are plenty of options.

Brennan's is a nice place to grab a sandwich for lunch between classes and is only two minutes away from campus. I have yet to be disappointed any time I have stopped in there for lunch.

If you want a snack and are craving a fresh donut, Broad Street Dough Co. is a great spot. Their donuts are so good when you have them when they are still hot and fresh. And again, it is within a very short distance. And if you want a coffee to go with it, I have heard good things about Rook (Also near Brennan's). I am not a coffee fan, so I can't confirm, but I have heard nothing but positives.

Looking for a sit down meal? Zachary's just off 36 has really really good boneless wings plus thin crust pizza. It's an American bar and grill type of place, and offers plenty of options. Definitely get those wings though.

Maybe you want ice cream instead. Well, there are two places just past Pier Village that are both really good. The Lighthouse is my preference, as they offer what they call a Hurricanen (think Blizzard if you go to DQ, or Friend-Z from Friendly's). Then just a little further down Ocean Avenue is Hoffman's, which has really creamy and really good ice cream as well.

If you go to Monmouth and have not discovered these places, you are missing out. Plus, I'm sure I'm missing some good places myself. But the point is there are plenty of places to go off campus and all are easy to get to.

The smaller class sizes

One of the best things about classes at Monmouth is that the classes are small enough that each student can get attention when needed, but large enough not to feel like you are the only one in the room. The sizes are ideal, especially when you feel like you need extra help.

Every professor has set office hours, which allows students the opportunity for that extra help. Given the class sizes, these office hours are never overbooked and every student has the chance to speak with the professor when they feel they need it.

The basketball team

This season the basketball team made a name for itself. Not only did they beat big name programs, they earned national attention. The atmosphere at the games was electric. You could tell everyone was excited to be there and truly enjoyed watching this team play. As a huge college basketball fan, having my school have a team that was worthy of going to the Big Dance made for a fun ride during the season.

The fun is just beginning. We only lose one player (Deon, you will be missed) going into next season, and lots of talent will be back. Everyone will be a little better and have a chip on their shoulder next season. It sure shapes up for a fun season next year.

And the bench is pretty entertaining as well.

These are some of the things that make Monmouth what it is. So while we may complain about the wifi, the parking lots and the current construction going on, it is still our school and we still love it. It's the little things like those listed above that make the students love where we go to school.

After three years at Monmouth, I can say there would have been no better pick for me. I enjoy going to campus every day and taking it all in.

What makes you love Monmouth? Answer in the comments!