7 Things To Buy If You HATE Hearing People Chewing

Feel A Lil' Better: Because You're Not The Only One Who HATES Hearing Other People Eat

1790

It's no secret that the sound of people chewing is a fairly common pet peeve. Whether it's the crunch of potato chips or a general saliva-movement, it can bring out a nervous twitch in the best of us. While most people agree to the annoyance of this, there are also people who grow physically angry by this sound — and not simply because they're a little more quick-tempered

Misophonia, "the hatred of sound," is a disorder in which certain sounds trigger emotional and physical responses that are often "overly dramatic," and "unreasonable." So yes, that rage you feel when Aunt Becky chomps down on a carrot may actually be because you are experiencing a degree of misophonia. Depending on the severity of your experience, you may be inclined to avoid situations where the sound that annoys you most may be present. This obviously impacts individuals in many social settings, as well as general mental health.

Each week, we're bringing you the best resources and influencers to give you a health boost. Here's what we're following this week regarding misophonia.

Book: "Understanding and Overcoming Misophonia"

Amazon

Nope, it's not just you who is filled with intense emotion when your dinner companion begins to chew. Thomas H. Dozier relates and has plenty of management techniques that make public dining a little less painful.

Podcast: "The Misophonia Podcast"

Yes, there's a podcast for that! The Misophonia Podcast interviews different "misophones" around the world to share experiences, tips, and "OMG ME TOO!" moments.

Instagram influencer: Misophonia Memes

It's good to laugh.

Twitter account: Hear Our Misophonia!

There's a group for everything, misophonia advocacy included! Hear Our Misophonia doesn't just ~get it~ but they talk about it in ways that keep the conversation going.

YouTuber: The Psych Show

What do we hate? Sounds! What do we need? Coping mechanisms! Thankfully, The Pysch Show is here to help. They've got research and answers, no matter what sound grinds your gears.

Playlist: Misophonia

There are plenty of sounds to dislike. Instead of focusing on them, turn on some music therapy and let your brain relax a little.

BONUS: Sound therapy machine

Amazon

Misophonia is something that people cannot always control. In these cases, it's best to focus on what you CAN control — even the noise around you. A small sound therapy machine has a variety of white noises to choose from — whether you're feeling ocean waves or a ceiling fan.

Is there a wellness resource you'd like to see featured? Send an email to lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.