I Asked 50 Military Spouses How The Pandemic Has Affected Their Love Lives, And The Answers Were Mixed
Swoon

Being a military spouse is hard enough, but with a pandemic it totally changes things.

Military life is hard. There is a lot that a spouse has to face, which already can affect a relationship. Deployments, field training, military schools, long hours, and so on.

When the pandemic hit, a lot of military spouses that weren't away on deployments or TDYs were told to stay home almost every day. So, mixing the pandemic with military life, how did it affect their relationships? Did they get better, worse, or stay the same? These are the questions I wanted answers to.

So, I asked 50 military spouses how the pandemic has affected their love lives and the answers were... mixed.

The Military Branch Affiliation of Each Spouse

The first part of the survey was what branch the service member is a part of. Each branch of the military is different in terms of their responses to the pandemic and how they operate. For example, the army often deploys to Middle Eastern countries, whereas the Navy is off at sea. There are so many different circumstances that can affect a relationship, positively or negatively, without the pandemic, so I wanted to get a good idea of where the responses are coming from.

Abbey Macias Survey Results

How Long They Have Been Married

I also wanted to be sure to include the length of the marriages. This is important when examining this data because that can affect how the quarantine and pandemic changed or didn't change their relationships.

Abbey Macias Survey Results

Overall Results

I asked the military spouses to rate their love lives prior to the pandemic and once it had started. Here is what the overall results look like:

Love life PRIOR to pandemicAbbey Macias Survey Results

Love life NOW, with pandemicAbbey Macias Survey Results

Some military relationships actually improved due to the pandemic:

Brooke, a Marine spouse of 6+ years, said:

"We have had more time to connect because of him working from home."

Rosette, a Navy spouse of 6+ years, said:

"My spouse and I have been together for more than 18 years, we have gone through several deployments together. This time, it was my daughter and I who left our overseas post while my husband stayed because of his work (our embassy posting went on ordered departure and my daughter and I were mandated to head back stateside). My love life remained the same as we have kept our communication open and as often as we could, thanks to technology! As I have previously stated, being married for over a decade has its advantages. Our relationship remains strong and stable."

Anna, a Navy spouse of 1-2 years, said:

"My husband has been home a lot more since he is scheduled less and it helped create family time as well as us time. The beginning of quarantine sucked as we fought a lot but quarantine gave us the time to begin marriage counseling and that has helped tremendously."

Dayna, an Army spouse of 1-2 years, said:

"Before the pandemic our love was strong, now during the pandemic it tested our patience and gave us obstacles to move around and I appreciate him more than I ever did before. One thing that was positive was that he was able to stay home more than usual; Unless they absolutely needed him, he was sent home. Being married into the military life I've learned to take and appreciate any extra time that he has for me."

Isabella, a Navy spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"Since the pandemic we spent more quality time together. But also when my husband was held in a different state for 4 months it gave us a whole new level of appreciation for one another after 5 years of marriage. The fact that we were separated because of a virus and so many people are dying or sick, made us treasure each phone call, every text or video call. Brought back the meaning of love till death do us part."

There were so many other positive responses about how their relationships have grown, and the pandemic definitely helped bring some couples closer together and cherish each other more.

Some relationships have gotten challenging:

Rebecca, a National Guard spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"Stressors outside and inside the home" had changed her love life in a negative way during the pandemic.

Lisa, a Marine spouse of 6+ years, said:

"The stress levels are high in the household. I've been forced to take a leave of absence from work to care for our school aged children. Now that schools are not opening up in the fall, I have to quit my job to become a full time educator to our kids. Life is so unfair. The fact that his career always has to come first. It's hard to maintain my career as a military spouse. Ok rant over. It just sucks! This whole COVID-19 thing is ruining every household's finances & schedules."

Sarah, a Marine spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"The stress of dealing with the DOD stop movement keeping us from moving in March with orders changing 4 times. This unorganized uncertainty for our future created tension in our marriage."

Erica, an Air Force spouse of 6+ years, said:

"Fewer (i.e. zero) date nights, kids around all the time so less sex."

Shana, a Navy spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"We were suppose to PCS in May and had our baby in February. Because of the pandemic, my husband was not able to leave. Our house is in disarray from having it packed/not packed. We aren't able to introduce our baby to family and still don't know if we're leaving or not. My husband was on day shift but went to shift work once they canceled our orders. So we barely see each and have basically no time for ourselves."

Some relationships have gone downhill:

It is not surprising that some marriages became challenging. With deployments, canceled moves, postponed moves, kids around, etc. it was not surprising to read some of the responses I received.

Denise, a National Guard spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"My husband just left me."

Amse, an Air Force spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"We have zero love life now."

McKenzie, an Air Force spouse of 3-5 years, said:

"My significant other has expressed filing for divorce."

Sarah, an Army spouse of 1-2 years, said:

"Because of COVID-19, the military stopped all movement. My husband has been stuck 1,000 miles away while I did a full move with a puppy and a 4-year old and closed on our first home without him. I have never felt so single."

As sad as some of these responses are, it was also not too surprising to see that some marriages have struggled, or unfortunately, ended.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.

-Having struggled with acne prone skin for years, I was cautious to try a new serum on top of the other products I've come to trust.

Keep Reading... Show less
Health and Wellness

Your Social Activism May Actually Benefit From A Cleansing Social Media Detox

In the craziest year of our lives, sometimes there's value in taking a break.

We are living through, unequivocally, one of the most dangerous, unstable, chaotic periods of any of our lives. From COVID-19 to crises of police brutality to the mass exploitation of the poor by mega-corporations, the world outside seems to be looking more dystopic every day. What can be done about it? For many, activism involves heavily posting on social media to keep others aware. However, this comes with a net negative cost — increased levels of anxiety, depression, and hopelessness about the state of the world. Why might this be? After all, in past eras activists have endured comparable and greater levels of abuse and relentless torment from oppressors. Why, now, are people getting so easily burnt out?

Keep Reading... Show less

Reading is a relaxing activity that provides many benefits. Everybody reads books (when they are not watching Netflix, chatting on social media, or making Tik Tok videos) to distract themselves from reality for a while. Many do not realize the positive impact that books have like reducing stress, assisting with sleep, improving cognitively, and strengthening the mind. In honor of National Book Day, there are many great novels that you can read to mark this special holiday. Here are the best ones to check out.

Keep Reading... Show less
Entertainment

5 Things You Need To Know Before You Watch 'Arrested Development' On Netflix

"Her?" Yes, she's an amazing show! (You'll get this joke after you watch the show).

Netflix

"Arrested Development" is an award-winning sitcom that aired for three seasons on Fox beginning in 2003, and then was picked up by Netflix for a fourth season in 2013, and then again for a final season in 2018.

However, it seems to remain one of the world's most underrated and under-appreciated shows of all time. Although this article alone won't be enough to skyrocket the show to Netflix's top 10, I hope that it will open people's eyes to the value and quality of the show.

Keep Reading... Show less

I have always felt left out because of how I look and who I am. I have always felt like the elephant in the room, literally. I have always been shamed for my size. For the longest time, I cared so much about what I wear and who I wore certain things in front of. I never wanted to wear shirts that would show a lot of my arm, located above my elbow. I wouldn't wear shorts that didn't go to the tip of my knees, at least. I never wore anything remotely tight, where you could see every curve, roll, or imperfection. I was so insecure about myself, and not many of my friends knew.

Keep Reading... Show less

Being a pharmacy technician never held as many risks as it does now. Exposure too hazardous conditions were little to none, and garbing up was only conducted in IV compounding. But, now, in order to give nurses the medications they need to help their patients, they need us, pharmacy technicians.

Keep Reading... Show less
Swoon

I Asked My Boyfriend His Opinion On Liking Other Girls’ Pictures, And, Spoiler Alert, It's Cheating

"When you get into a relationship and you're in love, you have to realize that liking photos is for the single lifestyle."

Ladies, listen up. If you are in a relationship with a guy and he is liking other girls' pictures on social media, then it's a red flag. A man who can look at someone else and show interest by liking it means he doesn't care about your feelings AT ALL.

Keep Reading... Show less
Entertainment

Celebrities Stealing Designs From Small Fashion Labels Is NOT A Good Look, And They Need To Pay Up

When larger, more established figures or brands steal from lesser-known independent creators, they are taking opportunities away from these creators while also profiting from someone else's work and claiming it as their own.

Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B recently collaborated on their new single "WAP," with the music video also being released on Friday. Both Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B posted photos of themselves on Instagram to celebrate the premiere of "WAP." An independent designer quickly noticed that the rappers' matching tops were copies of a top she had designed last year.

Keep Reading... Show less
Health and Wellness

When You Have A Disability, Finding A Job Is Twice As Hard, Believe Me, I Know

We have got to create a safer work environment for people with disabilities.

"My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you from doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit as well as physically." – Stephen Hawking

Keep Reading... Show less
Lifestyle

7 Books That Are NOT In The Young Adult Genre That Will Change Your Life

Young Adult isn't the only genre that exists, so here are seven books that any book lover wanting to try something new will love.

One of the most popular genres in literature that everyone has read at least one book from is Young Adult fiction. Now, I personally can say that, in the past, I have been one of those people that only read from the YA section of the bookstore.
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with just reading one genre, it's good sometimes to venture out of your reading comfort zone into the other book genres of the literary world.

In a previous article, I discussed the importance and power of words. The perfect example of this is literature and its impact on the world. Books have always played a crucial part in human lives, from how we are able to expand our knowledge to how we pass our time.

Keep Reading... Show less