5 Ways To Get Out Of The Mid-Semester Rut

We're more than halfway there! It's just a little farther up ahead until the semester is done!

13

As the semester turns to it's second half, it's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Piled up work and stress doesn't seem to help as finals are coming at a rapid pace. Sometimes it's hard to think about not giving up, and the mid-semester rut comes in full swing. Here are five different ways to kick the mid-semester rut to the curb and continue on the path to getting great grades and feeling more than okay.

Get off your phone

Being on your phone and checking all the rapid fire notifications is the number one way to add stress onto an already stressful time. Turning your phone off allows for you to focus on more important things than the number of likes on a post or the number of retweets and it also gives your brain and eyes a break from all of the screen time. Even if you can just take an hour away from your phone, your mind and your body will thank you.

Try a new study location

Gabrielle Faletto

Studying in one place for a prolonged period of time can ware you out. Try a new location for a change of scenery in order to refresh yourself from your surroundings. It's important to get out of the house and move around a little too. Change isn't always a bad thing, in some cases it can make things easier to understand! Maybe try out a new cafe down the road or switch out the library for somewhere outside, who knows, maybe you'll find a new favorite spot on campus?

Spend time with friends

friends hanging out at coffee shop https://www.pexels.com/photo/group-of-friends-hanging-out-933964/

Spending time with friends is a great way to get your mind off studying and making sure you're getting all of your needs. Humans are social creatures and being locked up inside with only a textbook can be pretty damaging. Take a little break and get some food with your friends or watch a movie. After hanging out, you can all study together and work on projects. They don't even need to be in the same classes as you, as long as you're all making an effort, you'll feel the energy and feel more motivated.

Read a book

Reading is such an old school way to have a good time. It's something that'll pull you away from your studies and your screen and can be a really good tool in relaxing. Allowing yourself to go off to another world can ease all the cares away. Try reading a book before bedtime instead of being on your phone, It'll allow you to wind down and have a better night sleep!

Treat yourself to something you love

Heather DeSalvo

At the end of a hard day, you need a reward. If you know you've worked hard, then treat yourself for it. Today we're constantly beating ourselves up if we don't to the very best, but what we should really be doing is picking ourselves up and cheering for our accomplishments. Get yourself some boba tea, or maybe a PSL and enjoy some time to yourself. YOU DESERVE IT!