Miami's Swingman

Miami's Swingman

7
Miami's Swingman

Felder is leading the Redhawks in scoring at 14.3 points per game and is snatching a career high 7.2 boards. Outside of his success on the court, Felder is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. where he frequently assists in carrying out the aims of the prominent organization.We all know being a full time student and Greek is a lot of work.  We also know being a student athlete is equally as rough.  Imagine doing both.

We all know being a full time student and Greek is a lot of work.  We also know being a student athlete is equally as rough.  Imagine doing both.  For Miami University Men’s Basketball team captain and senior power forward Will Felder, this is his reality.  Felder is leading the Redhawks in scoring at 14.3 points per game and is snatching a career high 7.2 boards. Outside of his success on the court, Felder is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. where he frequently assists in carrying out the aims of the prominent organization.  As a Prophyte or older member of the Delta Upsilon chapter, Felder is often called on by younger members for advice in time management and consulting of proper chapter operations, mainly regarding the Robert Rules of Order.  He serves as the Parliamentarian of chapter.

With a heavy and hectic schedule, Felder somehow finds a way to balance his academia, basketball, and fraternity commitment without letting anyone of them falter below his high standards.  His diligence off the court has set an example for his successors to come.  Miami’s Men’s Basketball team has already won nine games, just one shy of their season total last year. They are currently ranked 6th in the Mid-American Conference.  Although they are not above .500 mark, the future looks bright.  As a senior, Felder is the epitome of the phrase, “Hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.”  In Coach John Cooper’s system, he is required to play a multitude of roles that fully showcase his expanding skillset on the court. Cooper is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. so much is expected of his fellow fraternal brother. As an undersized power forward, Felder constantly battles guys bigger and stronger than him but yet continues to hold his own as evidence of the aforementioned career high statistics.

His versatility as a student leader allows him to navigate through various communities and situations without losing a beat.  In his fraternity, he is well respected and admired.  Felder assists in planning signature events and philanthropic fundraisers.   He transfers his discipline and perseverance from the basketball court into chapter operations, enhancing not only the productivity but focus of the chapter.  Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.’s mission station reads, “Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. develops leaders, promotes brotherhood and academic excellence, while providing service and advocacy to our communities.”  Through leadership and assiduousness, Felder is able to motivate and inspire those around him to strive for greatness.  Will Felder is truly a student leader.