Miami Falls To Wisconsin In A Tight Orange Bowl

After starting off strong, the Hurricanes fizzle out versus the Badgers.

254
Instagram

A great season came to an end for the Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl. Miami was upended by Wisconsin 34-24. However, the Hurricanes made great strides as a football team as their record improved from 9-4 to 10-3. With a star-studded recruiting class and future seniors Jaquan Johnson (S) and Michael Jackson (CB) returning, the Hurricanes should be even stronger next year.

ORANGE BOWL:

The game started off well for the Hurricanes. While driving down the field, Wisconsin Freshman Running Back Jonathan Taylor fumbled and Miami recovered at their own 31-yard line. With momentum on their side, the Hurricanes drove down the field and capped their drive with a Travis Homer touchdown to get Hard Rock Stadium roaring.

After holding the Badgers to a field goal, the Hurricanes added to their lead. Running Back Deejay Dallas lined up in the Wildcat and made three Wisconsin defenders miss on his way to a 39-yard rushing touchdown to give Miami a 14-3 lead. However, during the Hurricanes next possession, momentum would swing to the Badgers’ side when Defensive End Andrew Van Winkel intercepted Malik Rosier to give Wisconsin the ball on Miami’s 22-yard line. Wisconsin capitalized on their field position when Quarterback Alex Hornibrook hit Wide Receiver Danny Davis for a 20-yard touchdown to make the score 14-10.

After Wisconsin’s defense stopped Rosier and the Hurricanes from moving the ball on their next possession, Hornibrook continued to show his hot hand when he threw a 16-yard dime to Wide Receiver AJ Taylor for a touchdown. At this point in the game, the Badger’s were leading 17-14 and had silenced the crowd. After the Badgers stopped the Hurricane offense once more, Hornibrook capped the first half with another touchdown pass to Davis. Going into halftime, the Badgers led the Hurricanes 24-14.

The Hurricanes displayed fight in the beginning of the third quarter as they quickly drove down the field. On what appeared to be a broken play, Malik Rosier found an open Lawrence Cager who caught the pass in stride for a 38-yard touchdown. The stadium was rocking once again and Miami was right back in the game. On the next Wisconsin drive, the Hurricane defense was able to hold the Badgers to a field goal.

The score was 27-21 and Miami was getting the ball back with a chance to take the lead. But, the Hurricanes were only able to score a field goal which made the score 27-24. On the following Badger possession, Wisconsin finally put the game away. Hornibrook threw his fourth touchdown pass and his third to Danny Davis to secure the Orange Bowl victory for Wisconsin.

Although the Hurricanes had a strong first half, the Badgers managed to take control of the game in the second half. Nonetheless, Miami can build off this year’s momentum and come back with an even better season next year!

TURNOVER CHAIN:

Cornerback Dee Delaney recovered Jonathan Taylor’s fumble to give momentum to the Hurricanes in the first quarter.