The Truth Behind Miami Beach During Spring Break

Some insight on how Miami is during spring break.

26

With spring break just two weekends away, some college students are going crazy trying to plan a fun yet relaxing spring break to get their mind off the craziness that is spring semester. And if you go to a school like Florida State University, I am sure that what you want sunny beach or pool days. While there are plenty of beach locations to pick from in the state of Florida, most students tend to think of Miami, when it comes to beaches. Before you book your hotel to spend the week in Miami I am going to let you in on a couple of secrets as to why you don't want to visit Miami for spring break if you are looking to relax.

1. The traffic/time.

Miami on a regular week has some of the most intense traffic. One has to plan to leave their house at least thirty minutes in advanced to at least try to make it to their destination on time. And when you are on vacation the last thing you want to be is stressed, and it's a guarantee that Miami traffic will stress you out. Because everything in Miami is so far away from each other and traffic is so bad, expect to spend a good amount of time locked in your car. The best way to make time pass by faster and make the wait less agonizing is just to blast some tunes and pretend you are at your own concert.

2. Restaurants are ridiculously crowded.   

Because there are so many tourists during spring break restaurants get crazy slammed especially around Miami beach, and when someone's in Miami they want to try some of the best restaurants there like Komodo, Area 31, Rosa Mexicana, Marion, the list goes on and on. Since there are so many people in these restaurants expect to wait an hour to an hour and a half just to be seated, and the service may not be up to par like in any other week of the year. My recommendation is to stop at local bakeries or mom and pop shops, it'll save you time and money.

3. Overpriced.   

Just like everything else in life, when something is in high demand, prices seem to drastically increase. Although hotels know that most college students can't just swipe a card and worry about it later, they still increase their prices knowing that individuals are going to end up paying whatever price they give. Apart from hotels increasing their prices, everything else in Miami is EXTREMELY overpriced. While a vodka soda may be $3-$5 in a college town, in Miami they can easily cost $19…

4. Spring Breakers.

One thing that can really upset someone that is trying to relax are all the drunk spring breakers around them. Spending a whole day in the sun while drinking will make individuals do crazy things. As the years pass by, the crowds in Miami beach continue to increase with spring breakers from all over the country. Typical college students believe they are above the law and are free to do whatever they please, which increases when they are under the influence. The large crowds can result in something dangerous happening. In past years, there has been confusion on the loud noises from residents and visitors thinking they have heard gunshots. Incidents like this can lead to police officers being forceful and it may result in some individuals getting arrested.

5. The beaches become disgusting.

Miami beach becomes the last place you want to be in during spring break because of all the dirt and garbage on it. Because everyone is intoxicated they forget to pick up after themselves leaving the beach a mess. It is fine to have your fun at the beach, but just remember to clean up after yourself, to not only make sure the beach is clean but also so no one and no animals get hurt.

For a relaxing spring break in Florida I highly recommend going to places like Destin, Hallandale beach, even the keys. Renting out a house with your closest friends can be more fun and cheaper for everyone, especially if you are on a college budget. Miami is a beautiful city, but spring break may not be the best time to explore this city. Plan a trip around October through December and really embrace what the city has to offer.