"Metal Gear Survive:" Konami Why You Do This?

Konami dropped a bombshell at Gamescon 2016.

50
Videogame Photography

Gamescom 2016 is currently happening, and Konami has dropped one hell of a bombshell. Konami has officially released the trailer for their new upcoming game “Metal Gear Survive."

It is a four-player stealth co-op game based in the Metal Gear universe, due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC in 2017.

Almost a year ago Konami released “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain." MGSV was the final game written and directed by its series creator Hideo Kojima.

It was nothing less than a technical masterpiece. It was the first Metal Gear game that ditched its typical linear-narrative gameplay style to a semi open-world sandbox gameplay style. That decision gave its players almost endless possibilities on how to approach the game’s hundreds of missions.

However, the story was a mixed bag. To put it simply, some players hated it, and some players loved it. Either way reviewers, for the most, praised the game and gave it high scores.

After the release of MGSV, Kojima officially left Konami. There are many rumors to what really went down between Kojima and Konami, but Kojima said that he is unable to comment on his departure from Konami, according to an article written by The New Yorker.

It has almost been a year, and a lot has happened. Kojima scored a deal with Sony, and he is currently developing a PS4 exclusive game. Konami is also developing “Metal Gear Survive," which is set directly after the events of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros." It is the first Metal Gear game being developed without Kojima’s oversight.

And boy do fans just hate it!

As a big fan of the Metal Gear games, I was intrigued, but at the same time I was really worried.

I went on YouTube, and I watched the trailer. The first thing I noticed was the like and dislike ratio. I am not good at math, but even I know that the ratio is not in Konami’s favor.

After watching it, all I said to myself was, “What the ****?”

I am not even mad at the trailer. I am just perplexed on why Konami even greenlit this ridiculous game.

What I got from the trailer was that it is four soldiers that were left behind after the attack on Motherbase, and then they were sucked into a wormhole-looking thing. Then they were caught in the middle of this zombie invasion and were forced to fight the zombies off.

Kojima is known for his melodramatic and wacky narratives, but this is just complete excrement. I feel like Konami forced some poor overworked and underpaid intern to write the narrative.

What kills me personally is that the trailer started out so strong. The player sees Big Boss struggling to make his way to the helicopter among all the chaos and destruction. Then while the helicopter flies away you see the lone MSF soldier look up with nothing but despair in his eye.

Then it just goes back to being an abomination. It just does not look like a Kojima game. As a game developer, Kojima can be compared to Christopher Nolan. They are both very talented individuals with a very distinctive style that shows in their work.

This does not look like a Kojima game at all.

The only redeeming quality about this game is that it is at least something new. Sure I was extremely critical about it a few seconds ago, but at least Konami is trying something new.

Who knows, this game might actually turn out to be decent. It is being developed on the same game engine that MGSV was developed on, so it will at least be a pretty game to look at.

I also read a comment where a user said it’s "Metal Gear” meets “Left 4 Dead," and I guess that is cool.

All I can say is that without Kojima Metal Gear will never be the same. As a fan, all I can do is just wait for his next game, and I am pretty confident that I will not be disappointed.