Mental Health Vs. Physical Health

Mental Health Vs. Physical Health

What makes mental health and physical health so different?

360
Mental Health Vs. Physical Health
Family First Health

Why should the phrase "I go to therapy" invoke any different reaction than the phrase "I go to the gym"?

Both deal with health, of course. Therapy deals with emotions, moods, thoughts, and feelings. These are essential components of mental health. Likewise, the gym deals with various forms of strength and endurance, such as running on a treadmill and lifting weights. These are important to physical health. Therapy and the gym are not complete opposites; rather, they are two sides of the same coin. So why do people have a different reaction to each of these?

The answer is simple. Mental health is not valued in our society today. People struggling with depression and anxiety are told to get over it. People with schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder are called crazy. You wouldn't tell someone in a wheelchair to walk it off, why tell a depressed person to be happy? You wouldn't joke about cancer treatments, why joke about triggers and trigger words?

People who go to the gym are trying to become healthy, just like people going to therapy. There should not be a difference between the two. Mental health and people who struggle with it are not a punchline. Please stop treating us like one.