Supporting A Friend Or Family Member With Mental Health Issues

It will be okay.

3

It's hard having someone you love deal with mental health problems. But it's harder to watch them go through their day like they have no purpose.

Love them on their good days and love them even harder on their bad days. Sometimes they'll be the happiest person you've ever seen, going through the day with with a will to do something great. Tell them how proud you are. Even if they think they've failed.

Tell them you love them. Everyday. You can never say it too much. Make sure they always know that someone loves them, because they can't always love themselves.

Invisible illnesses are real. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. There's always more to people than what you see physically, that's why it's SO important to always be kind to people. You don't always realize when people are suffering on the inside because they paint on a smile everyday to hide the pain they feel inside.

Keep them busy. Even if it's the smallest things, keep their mind off of the things that bring them down. Take them out to eat, go shopping, just hangout with them so they don't feel alone.

They don't always have to talk about it. They don't always have to tell you what's wrong. Sometimes they just need you to tell them that you're always there no matter what and leave it at that.

Their mental illness does NOT define them. They are so much more than the mental illness that they were diagnosed with. Remind them of that. Remind them that they have a purpose here, remind them that God put them on this earth for a reason and they need to fulfill that purpose. Always let them know that someone loves them.

Lastly, get them help. If it becomes bad enough, professionals are always there to help. It's their job. Getting help isn't being weak, it's learning what's best for you and the people around you.

If you or someone you know is in an emergency, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or call 911 immediately.