Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Nine

Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Nine

The ninth installment to my personal marching band story.

9
Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Nine
Shane Dixon

My duties as drum major began before the new season even started. I was always doing something for Dixon, whether it be organizing forms or getting his iPad from his car. If there was a job to be done, it was automatically mine. I was his right-hand man, the second in command. When I spoke, people listened. It was an odd feeling to say something and instantly silence a room full of sixty-something chattering teenagers.

Everything was falling into place. Our new show was Mirror Image, a show centered around rebounding melodies and mirrored drill sets. Music was handed out, drill was being written, and the only thing left was for me to go to drum major camp. It's something that every drum major at Blacksburg has to do. I needed to go, my conducting was horrible and I hadn't found my style yet, but I really did not want to go at all. I always had horrible experiences at summer camps when I was younger. I never made any friends, kids bullied me, and plus I had never been to an overnight camp before.

There were two choices for me- either a camp down in Georgia or a camp in North Carolina. I chose the one in North Carolina because it was closer. It was held at UNC Charlotte in mid-July. The hottest time of the year. The camp lasted a little less than a week.

Coming into the camp, I had no idea what to expect. I won't go into much detail, but it ultimately was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I made amazing friends who are still in my life to this day. It was also hotter than Hell, and I got the worst blisters of my entire life on my feet, but it was all worth it. I left the camp with a new ability to conduct and had finally found my unique style.

I spent intimate time with the music, picking it apart and deciding exactly how to conduct it. My style was definitely influenced by Dixon, yet it was specific to myself. I was eager to be the best drum major I could be, I wasn't afraid to ask questions or receive criticism.

Band camp came upon us suddenly. It felt very strange to be standing up on the podium conducting instead out on the field marching. It felt even stranger to give out commands that people followed without question, whether it be helpful instruction or punishment for disobedience. I almost always had some sort of comment to make, and Dixon would always tell me to repeat myself louder for the whole band to hear. We were almost always on the same page with one another, which honestly felt a little weird. But Dixon trusted my opinion and I trusted him. Together, we were determined to take our band to the top.

School started, and before I knew it, it was time for the first football game. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I was terrified. I led the band onto the field, my head held high as I stepped to the beat of the snare drum. I took the terrifying climb to the top of my stand, and faced my band. They all looked to me. The announcer introduced us, and I called the band to attention. I turned to faced the crowd and give my salute. The stands were full of people, and they all watched me as I gave a simple, traditional salute. I faced the band again, checked to see if everyone was ready, and put my hands into position. I could feel the rhythm in my heart. I followed this rhythm and started conducting. As always, it was over before I even realized it. I led the band off the field, proud of everything we had done.

The start of football season signaled the start of competition season, and soon, our new uniforms arrived. In our sleek, new uniforms, we dominated every competition we went to. I was even lucky enough to win first place drum major at two competitions. I haven't really won many things in my life, so these two trophies that I won are important to me. I'm proud of what I accomplished as drum major.

The Upperstate competition seemed to come very quickly. Focusing in, we all wanted to prove ourselves now and establish our dominance. Everything was going well, until I forgot to remove my hat on the field. I guess I was just so focused on doing well that I forgot to take it off like I always do. At any rate, we gave a good performance like we always do. The time for awards came, and we placed third. Not terrible, great in fact, but we still wanted to place higher.

We had done so well all season, and placing third at Upperstate gave us a good chance of doing well at State. Of course, only time would tell how we would do when the time came for the State competition.

Until next time- Raleigh Kennedy