My First "Meet The Sisters" Event

My First "Meet The Sisters" Event

Who would have thought I'd consider joining a sorority!?

457
My First "Meet The Sisters" Event
Twitter

“Sisters, pledging, crossing, bid day, Panhellenic… there are so many words that could mean absolutely no sense to a girl who is not part of a sorority. I mean, before looking most of the terms up, I did not know a single definition or meaning of any of these words. Honestly, I barely knew what a sorority even is before going to college. I did not even have the privilege of growing up with sisters, so the idea of being in a house with a bunch of girls never sat well with me.

Turns out, I was wrong.

When I was on Facebook one day I saw there was a “Meet The Sisters” event near me. Keep in mind, a few weeks prior to this, I decided to look into a few sororities. At first I figured I might as well just scroll through it because I did not think there was a point in trying out anything new. After scrolling back and forth about six times, I realized I was clearly indecisive so I clicked “interested”. The chances of me attending the event were so slim at that moment it really is not like I had anything to lose.

For some reason, the morning of the event I woke up with a change of mind. Facebook reminded me I was interested in attending an event and, again I figured “I might as well. Again, it’s not like I have anything to lose”. That night I walked to the event alone while reconsidering my choice about a million times. For some reason I had this idea that sorority sisters were mean and I was just involving myself in the most intimidating situation ever. I was actually a nervous wreck.

But again, I was wrong.

When I finally saw the house, I was mesmerized. I could not help but to think of Neighbors and Neighbors 2 and how all I wanted more than ever as a kid was to go to college, to live my life as positively as possible. When I walked into this sorority house, I saw the possibility of this happening in the future. I actually pictured my dreams becoming a reality.

It was the most adorable thing ever the sisters in matching white tops, laughing with each other and welcoming all girls who could potentially become sisters. I felt nothing but positive vibes when I walked into Zeta Tau Alpha's sorority house. After feeling more welcomed than ever, I was ready to meet the sisters!

One of the sister walked me to another sister who I would soon sit down with and talk to for about half an hour. They offered me apple cider and I automatically felt like fancy. Table cloth and nonalcoholic drinks have never made me felt more bougie than they did that night.

I sat down with one of the sisters and another girl who is thinking about rushing Zeta Tau Alpha and the conversation flowed so effortlessly. Afterwords, a few of the sisters gave us all a house tour where they explained who lived in the house, what it is like living in a sorority house and everything of that sort. Now, I’ve never lived with any sisters but I have also never felt so ready to live with “sisters”. After the house tour, the sisters led us out the house by lining themselves up until the doorway while singing a catchy “goodnight” song, hanging us our coats, and saying they hope to see us again soon.

Overall, it was an experience I do not regret the slightest bit. I ended up falling in love with the sorority and wanting to rush for them this Spring semester. I could now see why many girls who are in sororities say the girls they encounter are girls they plan to keep around for the rest of their life. You definitely feel the love, the positive vibes, these girls bring about each other when they are together. Will they like me when I rush? Who knows.

What I do know is that, in college, I am allowing myself the opportunity to grow and to be risky. College, to me, is stepping out of your comfort zone in order to enhance your future with hopes of success. And, as always, celebrate when you get the outcomes you not only hope but work for!