The Top 7 Obscure Olympic Sports

The Top 7 Obscure Olympic Sports

These are the sports that you probably joke about.

37
The Top 7 Obscure Olympic Sports
NBC News

When people talk about the Olympics, the topics at hand are usually gymnastics, swimming, and tracking girls. You're part of the majority, if that person is you. Those are the majority of the events that are broadcast and advertised on NBC. Guess what, there are other sports that people compete in.What are those events you ask? Well, this is where i come in and give you some insight on the not so popular and overlooked Olympic Sports Events.

1. Soccer

It’s a pretty popular sport… if you’re not from the U.S. For years Soccer has been overlooked for its lack of “toughness” in the American eye. Some Americans think it’s a boring sport, but this year should be a little different. The U.S. Women’s Soccer team has been dominating as they compete for their fourth consecutive gold medal. So, you might want to give Soccer a chance this year.

2. Rugby

This sport has risen back from the dead. Literally! It hasn’t been an Olympic sport since 1924. As to why, it’s pretty self-explanatory. Rugby isn’t very popular outside of the UK. The sport have been changed recently so that other countries can begin to inherit the game. The new version is called Rugby Sevens. The difference between the two, is that only seven players on each team can play at a time. Supposedly, this opens up for a more open playing style, making the game more enjoyable. Rugby have become very competitive around the world.

3. Fencing

I've got a cool fact for you history buffs like me. U.S. Olympian, Ibtihaj Muhammad, will be the very first U.S. athlete to compete in a hijab at the Olympics! That in itself should give you an incentive to watch fencing this year. All you really need to know about this sport is that there are two people that fight with sharply pointed swords. The fencers score points by hitting their opponent's target area.

4. Race Walking

Yes, this is an actual Olympic sport. It’s basically just like track, except they walk... a lot. Now before you shut it down, just remember what it feels like to walking at a fast pace to get to your next class in high school. Ouch.

5. BMX Cycling

This could be kind of interesting. Especially when you compare it to the other cycling events. No offense. If you like the X games, you will probably get into this Olympic game.

6. Judo

The name itself is pretty awesome and should spark your interest. It’s almost like wrestling mixed with modern martial arts. The objective of the game is to basically pin down your opponent with little to none weapons. Its sounds really cool so check it out.

7. Weightlifting

I find this sport to be quite entertaining. There’s a lot of work that goes into lifting weights. It takes a lot of physical and mental training. It’s not very easy to just pick up a 400 lb. weight on the spot. Weightlifting is cool but please, don’t try to do this at home guys and gals.

Of course, there are many more sports other then the seven I've named. Check out those events on NBC or the Rio Olympics website and maybe you will enjoy it!