Meet Alexandra

Meet Alexandra

She believed she could so she did.

65
Meet Alexandra
AnnaFlorczak

In our stretch of lifetimes, we will encounter people who are destined to cross our paths. For the better, these special individuals will enter our lives gracing us with their given gifts to open our eyes, our hearts, or even our minds. May it be a stranger you pass on the streets or someone you've grown to know, life's magic works in unique ways to deliver an important message you need to hear whether you're out seeking for it or not. It's seeking you.

I'd like to dedicate this article to one of my dearest friends, Ally, who is part of the reason why I am who I am today.

Ally was born with a vision impairment, which is a decreased ability to see to a degree that causes problems and can't be fixed with help such as glasses or medication. She was born with Retinopathy of Prematurity which is an eye condition that only occurs in premature babies. ROP causes the blood vessels in the eye to spread and grow abnormally causing the retina to detach. As a baby to the age of 16 years old, partial eyesight has been lost in both of her eyes, with the left eye working stronger than the other and the right eye serving a purpose of sensing lights and shadows. Growing up with her situation, doctors have informed her countless times that the chances of regaining full sight in the future were slim to none. Despite the news, that hasn't stopped Ally from living a normal childhood. She did not want to be treated differently just because she couldn't see like everyone else. So she did what any normal kid would; ride bikes, swim, and many other things on her own. She embodied the determination and strength to move forward and accept her situation.

Come October of 2014, Ally's world took a turn for the worse when one morning she woke up with vision lost in what was considered her stronger eye. Her vision became so severe it was not just limited to distance vision, but has affected her ability to read and write. She felt defeated. It wasn't until then after 16 years, that she began to feel hopeless and lifeless.

With graduation approaching in 2017, the overwhelming doubt of not being able to graduate from high school on time began to fill her head from teachers, tutors, and classmates. But it did not take long for Ally to rise above this challenge. The criticism and inconsideration of others only fueled her fire. Believing in herself and all that she is, Ally has excelled in many of her classes proving herself and what she's capable of.

She is not one to shy away from going after something she wants to achieve and I admire her for that. Obstacles don't stand a chance of getting in her way because no matter what battle she may be fighting, she always comes out stronger than ever overcoming any drawback. She is greater than any obstacle, and it pains me to notice that many people fail to see that. Her light and motivation is what inspires me in so many ways. And in my eyes, Ally is the girl on fire.

She's taught me so much about myself and what's truly important. She's taught me to appreciate sight. People like Ally can't see, but people that don't have the difficulty of a vision impairment can see and yet make lots of wrong use with their eyes. She's taught me that appearance is vastly overvalued than what's deep below the surface. I've let go of insecurities and gained more confidence in myself since I met Ally. I hold a better appreciation for myself and a positive attitude towards life's changing dynamics. And as a result, I've become a more kinder and calmer person. She's taught me how important patience and trust can be. Because of her, I've learned its not the sight that holds worth, but the vision in which you manifest.

Her vision loss has changed my perception of the world. The energy, grace, and willingness she carries has taught me that with steady perseverance and the kindness I practice to myself, I can achieve whatever I set my mind to.

Ally is more than just a friend to me, she is a role model. I can't wait to see what the future holds for her and to be blown away by what she accomplishes.

Only a few things have such a huge impact on the happiness, depth, and fun of life as the friendships that we have and I hope to keep and cherish my friendship with Ally till the end of time.