4 Steps To Managing A Type A Personality

98

Everyone who knows me well knows I’m a little bit high-strung. In fact, I think most people figure that out within a few minutes of meeting me. It’s not easy having such a rigid and sensitive nature, and I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I very often annoy myself. But try as I might to be more easygoing, the truth is I’m Type A, and there’s little to be done about it. This is especially hard to accept as the school year progresses, when recruitment and assignments are happening simultaneously and it’s difficult to make time for yourself and get ahead on work. In fact, it becomes a challenge just to stay caught up, and as a Type A personality I know that’s a nightmare. There’s not much you can do to change it, sad to say, but there are measures to take to help survive it.

1. Schedule in sleep

You know that massive to-do list you make for yourself daily? The one that seems to require more hours than there are in a week? Make sure it includes some rest and relaxation. Getting everything done early feels absolutely amazing, but if it requires you to deprive yourself, then the high isn’t really worth it. Everything will eventually get done — it always does — so take comfort in that and get some shuteye.

Via Tumblr

2. Get some exercise

Not only can it help rein in the college weight gain, but cardio has tremendous benefits to your mental and emotional health as well. Like Elle Woods said, "Exercise produces endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don’t shoot their husbands." Or whoever it is that’s helping to get you worked up about things. Next time you’re freaking out, go to UREC. It might save you a meltdown.

Via Giphy

3. Share your feelings

What are sorority sisters for if not to be your confidant, and you theirs? As much as we want to seem like we have it all together, our friends are here for us so that we can be vulnerable, and talk about the things that are overwhelming us. So spend some time with those you’re closest to. It’ll make you feel a lot better.

Via Tumblr

4. Think about the long term

I’ve always been one to flip out about things that most won’t ever give a second thought to, and that definitely isn’t healthy or productive. If you can relate, ask yourself why it seems so important to know, or if you’ll even remember it was bothering you a year from now. By doing so, you’ll be able to focus on the things that really deserve your Type A attentiveness.

VIa Reddit