5 Easy Steps To Make Every Moment Count In 2017

There's a sense of comfort in leaving the past behind, to let bad habits end, and to make positive changes in 2017.

853

We’ve all heard the old saying “make every moment count.” This familiar platitude is a mainstay on various social media platforms, self-help books, and motivational speeches; it is repeated so frequently and with such enthusiasm that one would assume it is a universally followed guideline. In reality, however, it’s easier said than done.

In a society that quite literally runs on technology, it’s hard to tune out the countless distractions of everyday life and truly be present in any given moment. The sad fact of life in the 21st century is that the beauty of the here and now is often lost in the fast pace of day-to-day life. Living with mindfulness is, for the most part, a lost art.

But it doesn’t have to be. As the new year unfolds, so too does an opportunity for us to be more present in each moment. Here are just a few ways in which we can resolve to make every moment count in 2017.

1. Go off the grid at least an half hour each day.

Among the biggest obstacles keeping us from being fully present in the here and now is our dependence on technology. The constant barrage of buzzing and ringing from our devices frequently succeeds in distracting us and lessening our ability to focus. By powering down our phones and computers for just a few minutes each day, we can take a much-needed break from the diversion of technology and better appreciate what’s right in front of us.

2. Give others your full and undivided attention.

One way to be fully present in each moment is to be fully present in each conversation. When we give others our undivided attention, we not only show the appreciation our loved ones deserve, but also give ourselves a reprieve from the many distractions of the world around us.

3. Go to new places and experience new things as often as possible.

Nothing embodies the concept of carpe diem more than exploring new places and going on exciting adventures. Even if "going somewhere new" means simply trying a new restaurant or getting in the car and going on a road trip, pursuing exciting and engaging new experiences is a surefire way to be fully present in each moment and the new year.

4. Make the most of every situation.

Sure, not every moment will be fun and exciting, but that doesn't mean you can't find the silver lining in every situation. Find ways to smile, laugh, and have fun every day, no matter the circumstances, and each moment of 2017 will be worth remembering.

5. Be grateful for what you have.

A common obstacle standing in the way of living in the moment is a lack of thankfulness. When we're constantly dwelling on what we don't have, it's next to impossible to live in the here and now and fully appreciate what we do have. When we are truly thankful for the good things in our lives- family, friends, and all sorts of other blessings- we allow ourselves to appreciate the beauty of every day life and, in turn, the beauty of each moment.