Majoring In Depression With A Minor In Anxiety

The reality of living with mental illness in college.

16

Crawling out of bed for an 8 AM class is never easy, nor is getting up in front of 30 or so students for a presentation. Unfortunately, far too many students struggle with similar problems in more prominent aspects of their lives.

Depression and anxiety are two of the most widely recognized mental illnesses among college students, yet so few get the help they need.

Why is this?

For one, there isn't enough education on mental illness, even for those pursuing higher education. Far too many students believe that depression only means intense crying alone in a corner wishing you were dead and believing the world would be better without you, or that anxiety means you walk around hyperventilating and shaking at every decision you have to make. Neither assumption is even close to the reality.

Those who are aware of the real effects of these illnesses, especially those who suffer themselves, fear repercussions of seeking treatment. They fear being labeled as "depressed" or "anxiety ridden" for the rest of their lives, and being judged if anyone they know finds out.

What can we do?

Mental illness is real and it is scary, but not in the ways we expect. Those who suffer have the most to fear, and often prefer to suffer in silence than lash out. These issues don't solve themselves, however.

We need an open line of communication and need to let people know that we are there with arms and ears wide open. Having someone to talk to about the hundreds of thoughts flowing through your mind can do more healing than we can even imagine. Even if you can't completely decipher what is going on inside your head, you need to surround yourself with people who understand your struggle and understand how to properly help you.

We have to focus on better educating people who have no idea what it is like to suffer with mental illness. People need to understand that this isn't something to fear, but something that demands an open mind. It also is not something to disregard because the pain cannot be seen the way a physical cut or broken bone is, but it is a real condition that needs to be treated as such.

With better education and better understanding, we make it easier for young people, especially students, to feel comfortable enough to reach out and get the help they need.