Major Titles Announced at E3 2016

Major Titles Announced at E3 2016

E3 2016 is officially over! Missed it? Check out this list of the 10 most popular games announced this year!

8
Major Titles Announced at E3 2016
E3 2016

E3 2016 has come to a close. While it may not have been the best year for announcements, we saw some amazing games that will be releasing soon. Take a look at some of the most popular games that were announced. These are in no particular order.

Skyrim Special Edition

The 5th game in the Elder Scrolls game franchise, Skyrim was arguably the best game to come out of 2011. It is a single player, first person RPG game set on the fictional world of Nirn. Players control the Dragonborn, who starts out as a prisoner and from there chooses his own path through the main story and side quests. A remaster has been requested by fans of the game and the series ever since the current generation of consoles released and left the game to last generation. Since the game remaster was announced, fans are expecting they'll eventually remaster older games in the series. Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion are the first 4 games, but each one runs off a different engine, and it would be incredibly difficult to remaster these. However, the reason Bethesda communicated to fans was that if someone played only Skyrim, then they would be very confused with the original game mechanics from the lesser known games in the series.The game will include mod support on all platforms and all DLC from the original game.
Skyrim Special Edition will release for Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC on October 28th, 2016.

Quake: Champions

iD is personally responsible for arguably one of the biggest revolutions in gaming. Developed in 1992 by iD, Wolfenstein 3D is widely acknowledged to be the world's first First Person Shooter (FPS) game. DOOM, published in 1993, built off of Wolfenstein's mechanics, popularized the genre and introduced multiplayer death matches. Quake, published in 1996, built off of DOOM's multiplayer, but added many game modes that we still see in many FPS games to this day.The last major installment in the series was Quake 4, which came out in 2006, and has been silent ever since. Fast forward 10 years later, Bethesda announces what was rumored to be Quake 5, but turns out to be titled "Quake: Champions". The game looks like it will play just like Overwatch does, instead of like the old Quake games, and I am well to assume fans of that game will be drawn to this one. Based off of comments seen around the internet, fans of the old Quake are not pleased by this trailer. While the release date is currently unannounced, it is believed to be released sometime in Spring 2017 only on the PC. We will hear more about this game at Quakecon 2016 in early August.

God of War

This one is a slight bit confusing. The game doesn't seem to be the rumored 4th game in the series, but it doesn't seem to be a reboot either. Some fans of the series speculate that the game is a prequel to the series, since Kratos isn't wielding his normal weapons, but rather an axe. Perhaps it shows off Kratos when he was still a mortal. We can't really look at this game much yet, as Sony gave us so little information on it. The E3 Trailer says "Still in Development", so I doubt we will see a release date as of yet, but it's going to be a PS4 exclusive, just like the other titles in the series.

Battlefield 1

While not announced at E3, we learned a lot more about this game at E3 than was shown off before the conference.The game takes place in World War 1, and just like its predecessors, is a mostly multiplayer-based FPS game. Being the direct competitor to Call of Duty, as it has always been, it has been the more realistic of the two and this one will be no different. The weapons, the vehicles, and the environment are all historically accurate. Let's speak on the environment for just a minute. While some buildings in past Battlefield games were partially destructible thanks to the Frostbite engine, most buildings in this installment can be completely leveled. The entire terrain is affected by game events such as explosions. Speaking of explosions, there is an airship in the game that can be called in and a group of soldiers can man it to shoot off of the turrets located on the underside of the ship. When shot down, the airship starts to catch fire and crash. Wherever it was when it caught fire, that's where it will crash. It leaves behind a metal carcass and fire everywhere. The crash changes the map dramatically, and requires player to think on his or her toes in order to move more strategically. Alongside physical changes, the developers have also added a weather system that can change the course of the game. Weather changes happen randomly, and in no set order. Fog, just one of the many dynamic weather changes, will cause snipers to have to move closer, as it blankets the ground and restricts vision. Battlefield 1 will release for Playsation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 21st.

Prey

This game has been bounced back and forth between developers, cancelled several times, but here it is. The game play looks dark and has a horror/survival/FPS feel to it. Judging by the trailer, the game will more than likely be linear instead of open. There's not much to say on it yet, but the game looks absolutely beautiful so far.Prey will be coming to Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC sometime in 2017

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands

While not as delayed as Prey, Ghost Recon: Wildlands has been pushed back quite a bit. First revealed last year, the game was the centerpiece for Ubisoft's press confrence at E3 this year. With the Division being released earlier this year, and subsequently falling on its face, there are some valid concerns that Ghost Recon might not live up to all it's hyped to be. We've seen gameplay from Ubisoft in the past at E3 for other games under the Tom Clancy name. Rainbow 6 Siege gameplay, for example, was shown off at E3 2014 and ended up looking nothing like the reveal when it was released a year later. This held true for the Division, too. It could be that Ghost Recon could be just as terrible when it releases, too. I guess we will just have to wait and see.Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands will be released for PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on March 7, 2017.

Watchdogs 2

When the first Watchdogs game released, there was some mixed reviews on it. While many players liked it, some had complaints about the gunplay and the hacking system. However, developers listened to players and have fixed all of the issues that the first game had and are ready to release an all new adventure that promises to be even better. The good thing is, the setting of this one is set in California, so that means new characters and a new story. So far the gameplay looks beautiful, and it's definitely on my Preorder list.Watchdogs 2 will release for PC, PS4, and XBOX One on November 15th, 2016.

We Happy Few

We Happy Few is a strikingly creepy first person game set in an alternate universe in a Post-World War 2 era where Germany invaded England. The citizens did drive the Nazis out, but used a method only referred to as the "Very Bad Thing". To soothe their guilt, citizens take a drug called Joy that erases their memory. You control a person who refuses to take the drug, which actually seems illegal in the game world, since you are attacked if found guilty, and forced to take the drug. The game actually looks stunning and I could totally see it being a VR game. We Happy Few will release on July 26th, 2016 for PC, PS4, and XBOX One.

Dead Rising 4

Dead Rising 4 is a gory third person zombie slaying game. The game prides itself on customization, and the 4th installment doesn't seem any different. Just from watching the holiday themed trailer, I see custom weapons, armor, and vehicles. Not much I can say beyond that, except that PS4 players will be missing out on yet another Dead Rising title. Dead Rising 4 will release Holiday 2016 for Xbox One.

Dishonored 2

Arkane studios hit big with the first Dishonored, and now the sequal has been announced. The game, best described as a stealth action-adventure title, is set in a steampunk England and gives the players the power of choice. There are several ways to complete the game, including a pacifist option where you can use your powers to evade everyone without killing them. Last year, a copy version was released for current generation, and now we look forward to the sequel. Dishonored 2 will release November 11th, 2016

While just some of the games are listed here, many others were announced and I encourage you to check them out by using the full list here.