Major Depressive Disorder: A Myth or Reality?

Many people who have depression or any other mood disorder go through prejudice because of the stigmas attached to it. Sadly, a lot of people still question the existence of mental health disorders, especially depression.

13

People often confuse depression with everyday life stress when in reality, depression is a lot more than that. Apart from sadness and hopelessness, a person who has depression experiences many other symptoms.

The common symptoms of major depressive disorder include:

• Loss of interest in everyday life activities
  • Binge eating or loss of appetite
  • Insomnia or hypersomnia
  • Persistent fatigue and body aches
  • Suicidal thoughts or possible attempts

Hence, it is not incorrect to say that depression doesn’t revolve around low mood and restlessness. It has deeper roots that can create havoc in your life.

Myths and Facts about Depression

Although the idea of depression has changed a lot over the years, a lot of people still fail to understand it, as mentioned earlier as well. As a matter of fact, depression is a disease just like diabetes, obesity, and other physical ailments.

The following are a few myths and facts about depression:

• Major depressive disorder doesn’t affect children. The truth is it can affect anyone, regardless of age and gender.
  • It is caused by recreational drugs like cheap Canadian weed. Well, it isn’t. Substance-induced depression hits you when you abuse drugs, recreational or allopathic. When consumed in moderation, nothing is harmful.
  • Only those who are suicidal require medicines, which is incorrect. Anyone going through a major depressive episode requires proper treatment, which includes antidepressants as well as cognitive-behavioral therapy.
  • You get depressed because you’re weak. Such statements are not only irrelevant but insensitive as well. Depression is an organic issue and it has nothing to do with being weak.
  • Depression is triggered by stressful events. It is true and not true at the same time because stressful events are not the only source of depression. It can be caused due to various other problems like hormonal imbalance, childbirth, medical reaction, etc.
  • Depression is all in your head. In reality, depression may be a mental health issue but its symptoms are not limited to your mind. It affects you physically, causing body aches, muscle soreness, and digestive issues.
  • Depression gets better with time. It doesn’t. It becomes worse and worse if ignored. In fact, it’s one of the leading causes of suicides because many people tend to ignore it and avoid treatment.
  • People with depression are crazy. No, they’re not. People with depression may be vulnerable for some time but such stumbling blocks in life eventually make them strong and wise.

The Takeaway

Despite the advanced technology and awareness, most people still believe that depression only exists in your head and it has nothing to do with reality. Such people contribute to the stigmas attached to mental health, contributing negatively to society.

Education without knowledge is useless. Similarly, mental health awareness without understanding is futile. Knowing about the issue is one thing, and understanding its existence and significance is the other. Read about it as much as you can and educate others around you so that the world can move towards coexistence and peace.