You Don’t Have To Be A Maid Because Your Husband Came Home To You

You might me a housewife, but you’re not a maid.

10

I recently saw a post on Facebook that actually disturbed me. It disturbed me because hundreds and hundreds of women were commenting saying things like this is a great reminder or maybe I should change my attitude. Let me tell you what was so bad about this post and why it saddened me to see the approval from so many.

The post read something along the lines of everyday I close cabinet doors, hang his towel on the hook where it belongs instead of on the curtain rod, put his belongings back in his drawers, pick up his dirty socks, and so on. The oh so familiar routine for many. The writer goes on to say how bitter and unhappy this used to make her, especially when her children were small. She just wished that he would help because she already had so much to do. To me, that is a reasonable request. But here comes the kicker, She said instead of being bitter she would just be thankful that her husband came home to her that day and that his presence was evident in the home through his mess and she should be thankful.

Now, don't get me wrong, nobody is perfect and I can see her point, you should be thankful for your spouse, BUT this woman should realize that her happiness and service to her family should not be elicited through the return of her husband, who vowed to be loyal to her, to their home.

My point is, why should this woman have to be bitter over something that could so easily be fixed by her husband. However, instead of him correcting his error, even if it was minuscule to him it was still something that bothered his wife, this woman resorted to 'well at least he comes home to me, some women don't have that'. No ma'am! You are worth more than a 'well at least he's here and he came home to me'! You deserve a man who is willing to change for the better and serve you. In no way am I saying that you should not love and appreciate his presence but when your bitterness has to be changed into a it could be worse attitude then there's a problem. You both should want to serve one another even if that means changing yourself and doing things you don't like, for example, cleaning up after yourself

Mindful, meaningful presence over just being present. Know the difference and know it's ok to speak your truth .