Lundqvist's Window Still Wide Open

Lundqvist's Window Still Wide Open

Henrik Lundqvist is showing that he is still an elite goaltender

19
Lundqvist's Window Still Wide Open
todaysslpashot.com

Henrik Lundqvist is the Rangers all time leader in wins, shutouts, playoff wins and playoff shutouts. He’s a four time all star, a Vezina trophy winner and an Olympic gold medalist. The only thing that has alluded him his entire career is the Holy Grail; the Stanly Cup.

Last season, the Rangers were eliminated in the first round by the eventual Stanley Cup Champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins in just five games. Since then upper management has been busy rebuilding the team. The Question remains however; has the window closed for the 34-year old goaltender and his team?

“The window closed on me? On us? Oh, I don’t think so,” said Lundqvist. “I don’t see it that way at all.” Lundqvist, the backbone of the team since his rookie season in 2005, is confident that he and his team have what it takes to win the Cup.

“We might have a different look, but the mindset of our organization is always going to give the Rangers the best possible chance to compete at the highest level to win.”

Lundqvist is no rookie, and there have been questions of how he will perform for the Rangers this year. Will he be a dominant goaltender? Will he be able to carry the Rangers this once again? There are no guarantees that he will carry the Rangers or continue to be an elite goaltender, but Lundqvist is showing the world what kind of goalie he is right now in the World Cup.

Lundqvist missed the first game for Sweden with the flu, but came back strong and shut out the rivals Finns. Lundqvist followed up his shutout with a 45 save performance for Sweden against the young, fast and highly skilled, North American team. After Sweden’s early collapse in which the forfeited three goals, Lundqvist stood on his head, stopping multiple breakaways by Connor McDavid and Johnny Gaudreau, multiple two on ones and countless point blank opportunities.

Although Sweden ultimately lost the game, Lundqvist’s performance is what stood out. He showed that he could still play at the elite level.

Once the World Cup ends, Lundqvist will return home, where his teammates, coaches and fans hope he can display that level of elite goaltending once again.

One of Lundqvist’s many fans is former Rangers goaltender and Stanley Cup Champion, Mike Richter. Richter has no doubts that Lundqvists window is still wide open. “I think he’s a tremendous player,” said Richter. One thing that does happen, and you saw it with Martin Brodeur, is that you get better as you go in terms of your experience and your understanding of the game. Most importantly is what you understand about yourself and what it takes to get yourself prepared.”

Richter, who was the goaltender when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994 knows all about what it takes to win and compete. “Playing at that level, is all about fulfilling your potential,” Richter said. “You need to know what makes yourself click. And Henrik knows that. He’s an absolute professional. He approaches every game to win it and to play his best. He gets that like few people do, and that what makes him so consistent, so I do think there’s plenty of fight lift in him.”

Lundqvist is known for his work ethic. On and off the ice, Lundqvist trains hard during the season and in-between seasons. Lundqvists fellow goalie and backup, Antti Raanta gets a great view of the Kings work ethic.

“It’s been pretty eye opening to see how he works,” said Raanta. “He can be on the ice for two hours, if he’s not satisfied. He’s a great goalie, but he’s making himself better everyday with his work ethic.”

“When I go on the ice, I try to put in quality time rather than hours and hours with no quality,” Lundqvist said.

Lundqvist’s focus is on the world cup right now but he cant help but think about this upcoming season with the Rangers. “This is where my focus is, but at the same time, I’m really excited about the season and about getting back to New York,” said Lundqvist. “I’m going to be super excited to be back. I really miss that place.

Lundqvist is going to start the season with one thing on his mind. The Stanley Cup. “Personally, I feel really good about this season,” said Lundqvist. “The window hasn’t closed on anything.”