Why I Love To Write

Why I Love To Write

Language is a beautiful thing

122
Why I Love To Write
Jordyn Paul-Slater

Ever since I could remember, I've always been in love with words. I was obsessed with creating sentences and playing with different types of punctuation whether it was simple commas or semicolons. I would breathe out each syllable, forming essays of ideas behind each one, and run my sentences over and over until there were no words left behind.

This may sound utterly insane, but I'd like to think I was unconsciously aware of how powerful words are. They exist in this alternate universe of which was self-constructed out of mere 26 letters. They can help us and trick us all at the same time. They can give, and they can take.

Speaking them only does so little.

You can never retain those brilliant thoughts or vivid dreams. Once you say something, it is gone forever, and you will never get it back. This is where writing comes in.

Writing is the storage bin, if you will, of all the things on your mind and the tip of your tongue. It preserves the beauty of your growth linguistically and physically. Writing is the necessary artifact of your entire existence that binds you to your environment for years to come.

That is why I love it.

I love that I can flip through my notebooks and see the girl I used to be playing in between the lines. I love that revisit my highs and lows. I love that my entire soul is laced into all manifestations of my writing whether its old poems, scripts, journal entries, etc.

I know this may be dramatic, but I feel as if writing completes this whole other side of me that I never knew existed until I decided to write it down. I believe writing serves me on levels that I never seen and will continue to do so until the day I die.

This is why I love to write. And, I urge you to do the same.