A Love Letter to the Person Who Needs It

You are defined by more than the plans you have on Valentine's Day.

228

Hey babe,

There are some things I want you to know.

I want you to know that you are worth it. Completely, totally, 100% worth it. No holiday, no Instagram post, and no Snapchat can discredit the fact that you are good enough. Read that last sentence one more time: you are good enough. Say it over and over, because I need to know that you believe it. Life may be throwing you a curveball right now, but you're going to catch it and throw it right back because you are NOT a quitter. I know it can be difficult sometimes, but you need to start living every day for yourself, and not for others. Stop seeking validation in the opinions of others, because you will NEVER be content with it. The validation you need can only be found within your opinion of yourself, so keep aiming to live up to your own expectations of your achievement, because that's all that matters.

I also want you to know that neither insecurity nor vanity will get you anywhere in life. No matter where you are on this scale, you need to understand that kindness and compassion go a hell of a lot longer than outward appearances. Fill your mind with the knowledge of books, and immerse yourself in the practices and with the people of other cultures. This is the stuff that truly matters. Growing a more open mind with the understanding of the ways of the world will take you so much farther in life than a pretty face. You don't have to be the top of your class either—you just have to be authentically you.

But, this doesn't mean that you can stop working on being the best version of yourself. If you have a thick shell, work on breaking it down; let people come to you, and don't run away when they do. If you have an air of haughtiness, work on taking it down a notch; have a conversation with someone you wouldn't normally think of talking to. You'll find that a lasting and rewarding friendship can be made with those who don't immediately match up to your expectations. No matter who you are, just give people a chance. You may be chasing after that one person right now, or constantly trying to please them, but take a step back from all that for just one second. Really look around. Take in all of the crazy, awesome blessings you have. Now ask yourself: Is it really worth it? I know, you can't just turn off your feelings; it will take time. But, slowly work on bettering your mental and emotional states, instead of someone else's. It's time to stop giving all of yourself—your affection, your advice, your mind, your heart—to a select few, and start saving it for those who truly deserve it. Chances are, the person who's always talking but never taking the time to listen is not someone who deserves you. Their problems are NOT more important than yours, and you need to stop letting them belittle your own feelings and situation. You are inferior to no one, you matter just as much as everyone else (you are also superior to no one, so open yourself up to the unexpected people—they might just be exactly what you need).

Just remember that this, too, shall pass, and every stage of life is only temporary. You WILL get through this, you WILL be loved, and you WILL continue to love yourself. Relationships are not the end all, be all. There are so many things in this world that deserve your attention more than someone who makes you feel worthless—cut these people out of your life and start focusing on changing the world. You may think that soul-sucker needs you, but trust me, the world needs you more. Continue to better yourself so you can better the planet; your unwavering compassion and acute sensitivity and understanding are just what the world needs right now, so get your head out of the small frame you're in and see the big picture.

You are good enough. You are good enough to change the world.