My Love for Pilates

My Love for Pilates

A stable core, flexible spine, and relaxed breath

22
My Love for Pilates
Fitness Magazine

My love for pilates began junior year in college when I needed another credit to fill my schedule. I heard of a pilates mat class that was only one credit and once a week so obviously that was my go-to class that I randomly took. This class would force me to work out because let's face it, we rarely have time to make it to the gym, and if we do we just don't want to go. I also have terrible anxiety and school is a huge stressor in my life so I figured this would be great to help me relax and destress each week. What I didn't know when picking up this random, little effort (though I thought) class was that I would fall in love with not only Pilates, but also what it has done to my body.

Pilates focuses on stabilization, articulation, and breath with a huge emphasis on strengthening your core. My abdominals are burning nonstop (a satisfying but dead-tired feeling) and my flexibility and stability have improved tremendously. I now find myself casually stretching at all times of the day because of how relaxing it feels, and at times get some odd looks my way. We've learned a specific flow in my pilates class that continues to build onto itself in future classes. Now being in my senior year, I am in pilates mat two which consists of the same exercises but now more are added and some of the old exercises are made a bit more difficult. I love this because I've been doing this flow for a year now, have it memorized, and can perform it whenever and wherever if I want to get a 40 minute workout in.

Now I'll be honest, some of these exercises in the flow are fairly difficult. They take time and practice, you will fail at first (as did I), and you will look quite ridiculous while trying to figure out how to perfect an exercise. But once you do and you feel that stretch, strength, and connectivity run through your body you'll become addicted. I still have difficultly with a few of the exercises in the flow, but if I were to look back at myself day one I would die at how awful I was. I've practiced a lot, took the workouts seriously, learned which muscles should be engaged and asked questions when I was having a hard time. My instructors were great and have always pushed me to work harder and allow the burn to last longer (which at the time sucks and you kind of want to cry, but once it is over you feel great about yourself). Pilates has done so much for me in college and I encourage everyone to at least try it out, because what it has done for me I know it can do for others.

I'd love to get certified and become a pilates instructor one day, maybe even open up my own studio (big dreams here). If not though, I know I will continue practicing pilates on my own for myself, because my body deserves it.