Losing Myself, Finding Joy in the Simple Things

Quarantine has been an endless battle on my mental health, but made me realize a few vital things that I need to preserve.

23
Lisa Stewart

The Fall semester creeps closer and closer with some schools even reopening as we speak. These past months have challenged everyone to push past their personal boundaries, and explore new options. Congratulations to everyone who managed to brave the waters. Everyone has their off days, we feel sad, we cry, but at the end of the day we're entitled to these feelings.

As the days begin to pass, I begin to question the fleeting energy I usually had. Ever since the spring semester concluded I slowly slipped from my rhythm, and just became complacent in the flow of things. I watched T.V when I was not studying, I interacted within my summer classes, yet something still did not feel right. I was missing something—my drive. Usually there is something driving you to succeed in life, or in general. Maybe some can relate, when you're so involved in your daily routine then when it's shifted drastically, you start frantically reforming. Humans beings are not machines made to sit for hours performing thousands of tasks. Sleep, eating right, and talking with the people you love are a few things to lighten your day.

Mental health has never been as important especially during these troubling times. It is always important to know when you fall down, you must rise. As cliche as it may sound, it's true, stop forcing yourself to pretend you're alright. Open a window and take notice to the formations of the clouds. Notice how the sun beams on a particular spot. Read that book you promised to read years ago. Clear out that whole playlist from freshman year.

To whomever reads this, you probably tried so many trends you seen on Tik Tok, you re-vamped your whole wardrobe, started watching anime (please do), but most importantly you're here. Live in the moment, live a life with no regrets, have a healthy relationship with yourself. I like the simple things in life because for once I live in the moment. Remember it's not selfish to put yourself first. Please take care of yourself, and remember there's always a purpose. Find it.

**ALSO WEAR A MASK