I'm Tired.

I'm Tired.

Mentally, physically and spiritually.

8
I'm Tired.
pinterest.com

A lot of my Christian friends on Facebook surprised me in this election. They reminded my why a separation of the church and state is so important. Some of them think it's perfectly okay to keep constitutional rights from people simply because a watered-down English translation of the Bible "told" them to do so.

People literally use the Bible (whose Creator is defined as "love") to justify their prejudice and hate. They really claim not to be hateful, tell everyone not to judge; that God is the one true judge, and then they turn around and wade in their hypocrisy.

I'm tired of seeing the church pray for people they refuse fight for.

I'm tired of having to choose — being told to choose — between social justice and a man-made definition of religious righteousness.

I'm tired of folks coming at my relationship with God because I speak out against racism and misogyny, as if it's a sin to make you self-reflective and a little uncomfortable.

I'm tired of the "holier-than-thou" crew smiling in my face and then cursing me when my back is turned.

I'm tired of expecting open-minded fellowship with people who you would think would understand exactly what it means to be imperfect but accepted (considering all that unconditional love they receive daily) but end up being shut up, out and down when I speak out on issues that directly affect me.

I'm tired of seeing Christians chanting "God is love" but not showing up for those who need it the most; unable to look past their worldly prejudices (unable to even admit they have them) to help, to fight, to speak up, to show up, to do literally anything.

Y'all love to point out sins but forget that Jesus hung out with the sinners, stuck up for the sinners, invited them to his table, washed their feet, kissed their cheek, listened to them, spoke to them. He showed up for them all while defying hierarchical religiousness; all while rejecting oppressive religious traditions. Jesus was radical; radical for love. But y'all ain't tryna hear that.

Y'all want to be comfortable. Y'all want to be complacent. Y'all want to be right. If it doesn't affect you then it doesn't exist right?

And if the people who it does affect speak out about it, they're discredited...silenced...because they're biased or dramatic of course, right?

I don't think I could ever lose my faith in God. I don't think I could ever leave compassion and understanding out of my character (because when I've needed it, I've been so grateful to receive it). I don't think I could ever lose faith in love. I don't think I've lost faith in every Christian.

But as of lately, I've lost faith in Christianity.

I'm just tired.

If any of you are feeling the way I am lately (especially if you share my identity as a Black woman) you should read this.

Selah.