A Look At Inner Beauty

A Look At Inner Beauty

Beauty that reaches farther than the skin.

28
A Look At Inner Beauty
Kick of Joy

I am a proud member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Just like my own sorority, every sorority has their own virtues that they choose to look for in themselves, their sisters, the people around them and the world. Kappa Kappa Gamma has five virtues: wisdom, loyalty, inner beauty, sincerity, and friendship. Of all of our virtues, inner beauty is the most important to me. I believe that inner beauty is an important virtue for everyone to look for in their peers and the world around them. Inner beauty seems to define itself, but in reality, it is not as simple as it sounds. In today's society where it seems that only the physical side of beauty matters, it can be hard to look farther than the skin.

It's a Friday night and the girls are leaning over their sinks to make sure that their eyeliner is stellar, their hair is flawless and their lipstick is on point. Other girls glare enviously as a beautiful woman with impeccable eye-shadow, bouncy curls and killer heels struts down the sidewalk as she makes her way into the local college bar. Physical beauty can be striking, but it's only skin deep. Inner beauty is all consuming, a light that will shine forever when the skin starts to lose its luster.

Inner beauty is the girl who shamelessly sings off key to her favorite song at the party while others look on with envy. She is so consumed by the moment, that she forgets that she is in a room full of people. Her joy seeps through her words as she dances gracefully off beat. Inner beauty is the woman who talks about World War II with a fiery passion and a light in her eyes. Her love for history is seen by everyone who can hear her voice. She talks with such excitement that it is hard to not get caught up with her. Inner beauty is the sister who lovingly holds you when you experience some of your worst days. You don't think that you can make it another step, but she knows that you will make it through. Inner beauty is the friend who stays up to make you your favorite cookies and a glass of milk as you study for your microbiology exam. She eats half with you and for good measure goes on a late night food run so you're not alone.

Inner beauty is funny faces, obnoxious laughs, and carefree conversations.

Inner beauty is a light that lasts forever. And if you happen to lose faith and your light goes out, don't worry, a friend will help you light it again.