Diary Of An Anxious Hair Salon Go-er

My hair is long, maybe not to the floor long but to-my-butt long. It’s always been my security blanket. I can find myself extremely defensive when I get my one-inch trim.

This anxiety all started when I was about fourteen years old. I went to a hair salon with which I'm extremely familiar. I’ve gone there many times, leaving very satisfied. Only this cloudy day, however, I bet the universe knew that something was not in my favor. I walked up to the chair and took a seat and asked Dean* to make it a nice, healthy cut. With my mom next to him, I knew it would be okay. Then my mom said that she had to run a quick errand.

Boy, do I wish she stayed. My hair was put in a ponytail and without my knowledge, my long hair was in my hairdresser's hands in the blink of an eye. My heart started to pound, my skin became blotchy red and both of my hands covered my face as tears started to peer through the spaces of my hands. He took a hard long look at me, absolutely horrified, realizing he just broke a little fourteen-year-olds heart.

Frantically, I started ordering him to put extensions in my hair. I began hyperventilating in the seat with an ice-cold water in hand.

Obviously unhappy, with a drama queen attitude, I settled down waiting for my mother to come back.

Flashing forward to the first evening with my haircut, I remember pulling on it hoping that it would speed up the growing process. To my dismay, it did not help but what helped was embracing the new haircut and vowing never to let a hairdresser cut it that short.

Today, I am getting my hair done. Yes, it is a highly touchy subject and due to my obnoxious anxiety to many situations. I will make this a positive encounter.

It is a cloudy day and this time it will be different. I have made it clear with my very understanding new hairdresser that I am very sensitive to haircuts. Therefore, I will confidently walk in and get my new do’.

I have found a couple of ways to lessen anxiety for all those who cannot stand getting a trim or a new style because of anxiety.

Here are a couple ideas:

• Don’t think about the appointment obsessively, contemplating whatever can go wrong and instead think about the positive outcome of how healthy your hair will look and feel.
  • Understand that your hair will grow back. If you are also changing your color, your color is rooted in you (no pun intended).
  • Communicate before your hair appointment. Explain your situation and what you want, not only so that your hairdresser will know what to do but so that they will be familiar with your history; having a positive first impression will cut off any unnecessary split ends… I apologize, remove any unnecessary scissors, I mean stressors.

If anyone is nervous about a hair appointment today, know that it is going to be hair flipping awesome.

Au Revoir!