Long Distance

Long Distance

Dating 101

10
Long Distance
BoredPanda

Everyone loves being in a relationship. They love the warmth and comfort of being around their spouse or significant other. They love the late night talks, the dates, and just the thought of someone being there when you need them. You have someone to share your food with or someone's clothes to borrow. It doesn't get any better than that, but then some things stand in the way. College or distance, or maybe even both in some cases and you have to decide in that moment what to do.

Long distance has a bad reputation. A lot of people are against it and are spiteful towards it because their experiences with it weren't the best and the relationships didn't work out. People think long distance means cheating, barely any communication, and breaking up with in a week. There is nothing wrong with that, everyone is titled to their own opinion. Sometimes though, it isn't really the distance's fault as to why the relationship didn't work out. It is because the person stopped caring and was looking for an out but they blamed the distance. Not every relationship will work out, and it has nothing to do with if you're near by or long distance. It just simply means you weren't supposed to be together and you two didn't work well together.

Let me tell you about my experiences with long distance. Not both my own. Before I was ever in a long distance relationship, my sister was in one. She still is before everyone thinks it didn't work. My sister and her boyfriend have been dating for almost five years, November 14 it'll be five years, and for two years they have been doing long distance. They both have went through college, and they have made it work. So when I mentioned to my sister that I was going to do long distance, she gave me some helpful tips I will share with you later.

Now, I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over nine months now and for a little over three months we have been doing long distance and making it work. Whenever people asked how we were going to make it work with me in college and I said long distance, everyone did the same thing. They said "oh" with a worried face. Now, I know three months isn't a long time to say "oh, long distance works!" but it is a start to hopefully four more years.

I won't lie, it isn't always going to be easy, but relationships never are. It isn't always going to be about butterflies in your stomach and heart eyes. There will be struggles, but that doesn't mean you should quit because something beautiful can come of it. Sometimes you won't always get the chance to talk all the time, and that is okay, you can use that time to start a hobby, or finish something you already started. When things start to get tough, just take a step back and breathe. Eventually everything will follow with.